foster a flock and getting my own!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by backyardmomma, Mar 15, 2015.

1. backyardmomma

backyardmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    northern California
    Hello this is the first real year i am starting my backyard homestead. I have been around and worked with live stock off and on most my younder years. We spent 3 years co raising chickens for my old neighbors. I did most the work. Miss it so. In a day or two i am fostering a duck, a rooster, and four hens. For three days best case and months worse case. My friends are in a crisis and i am the only experienced friend they got. I have shared my knowledge the whole time. The hens are fairly close in age a mixed flock and been laying 12+ eggs a week. I get to keep all eggs and am making a incubator and a brooder. So i can set up my flock for free. Now i haven't raised chicks or incubated before. I am planning on raising meal worms starting next week and will look into fodder system before hatching as well. My goal is to by little to know commercial feed. So far the now chicken pen which is 2/3 asphalt and 1/3rd dirt has tall grassy area in the dirt. I covered the asphalt with deep leaf litter today made sure there was plenty of fine gravel. I have tons of it around my house. I have sand i can spead out as well or should i save it for my future chicks? And area will be covered. They have food and water dishes and straw feed and strach. Have i forgotten anything and what are your general thoughts. I know thats a lot but still learning the site and i don't have much time. But i am all about doing right.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] x2 on the Learning Center articles. There are some on incubating eggs, raising chicks, coop and run maintenance and loads more. It sounds like you are off to a good, well thought out start though and doing research before taking the plunge is a wonderful idea!

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! x2 on all the great advice given to you!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You sound egg-cited to get started!! Definitely stop by our entire learning center. There is so much information there to help you get started and properly raise your new birds.

Make yourself at home and if you have any questions along the way, you know where we are!! Welcome to our flock! :)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. backyardmomma

backyardmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    northern California
    Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for links and tips to the learning center i scowered it last night so damb egg-cited that i couldn't sleep lol two days or less can't wait.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by