Fostering roosters! Me??

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
Many of you may remember my stories of my accidental rooster Roopecca, one from my very first flock of 4. I never wanted roosters. Everyone thought he was a very lovable pullet till he crowed. By then I couldn’t give him up. Then his hormones kicked in and he became a pia. I tried... but ended up fixing him a bachelor pad. I didn’t like the way it didn’t have much sunshine and made plans to switch him into a smaller bachelor coop with a bigger run into sunshine.

And I never wanted roosters.

I’ve had other issues and this site has been my go to for answers. Tiny TSC coop, predator defense, and bully birds to name a few. My bully birds were rehomed BUT! Before I made the final decision to rehome them a young man on this site and in my state offered to give me, free, a small TSC coop to separate the bullies from the flock. It was such a generous offer and he refused any compensation that I promised to pay it forward somehow. That was our own @Brahma lover 5000.

About a week and a half - two weeks ago Brahma lover 5000 contacted me with apologies but in a desperate situation. He had a White Frizzle Cochin bantam cock with leakage over a Buff Brahma bantam hen. He looks like a Light Brahma bantam. His name is Henry. He is promised to a family but they won’t be ready for him till spring. Henry had begun to crow so Brahma’s family is afraid of getting in trouble. Well God’s timing is perfect. I’m was the middle of disassembling Roopeccas coop to move him into the smaller coop. After a conference with family members we decided it was exactly the answer to paying it forward! My biggest concern was Henry would be alone yet hear my flock, and my rooster, calling out. Poor lonely Henry. We devised a plan to set up the coop away from my flock so we could carry out proper bio security procedures. Coop parts and pieces were scrubbed, bleached, and dried in sunshine. It all took much longer than expected.

I never wanted roosters.

Meanwhile a very timid Brahma Lover 5000 contacted me again. Henry’s hatch mate, Albert, hasn’t crowed yet but should any day. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a promised family. Could I board him and if he’s more than I can handle I can invite him to my dinner table. Another family conference. Ok that solves the lonely Henry problem. If Albert turns out to be a sweet boy maybe he can join my girls after Henry goes to his forever home. If not he swims with the dumplings. Albert is a White Leghorn x Red Sex Link. A big boy! So last Sunday Brahma came up(bit more than an hour away) with the boys. We were assembling the coop as they arrived so I had time to show him around my flocks set up an try to introduce him to some suddenly shy chickens. It took a few hours to finish setting up but Brahma seemed satisfied his baby boys were in good hands.

Did I mention I never wanted roosters?

But tell me. Who could say no to these handsome boys?

DA0613BD-A525-43AC-8BAE-22267E820F61.jpeg

89187B93-A086-4FAD-B36D-7438F1C75299.jpeg

AD22E8E3-CC53-440A-9193-291C23ABFA57.jpeg

Of course 3 days later (yesterday) this happened.

Chicken math is a disease.

The family and I get quite a kick out of these two. I’m hoping Albert (isn’t he handsome?) continues to be a sweetheart. Who knows? Maybe I’ll get courageous and allow some hatching?

Cockerels?

This could be the learning experience I need to get me over the fear of processing birds.

I am having way too much fun!

Many of you may remember my stories of my accidental rooster Roopecca, one from my very first flock of 4. I never wanted roosters. Everyone thought he was a very lovable pullet till he crowed. By then I couldn’t give him up. Then his hormones kicked in and he became a pia. I tried... but ended up fixing him a bachelor pad. I didn’t like the way it didn’t have much sunshine and made plans to switch him into a smaller bachelor coop with a bigger run into sunshine.

And I never wanted roosters.

I’ve had other issues and this site has been my go to for answers. Tiny TSC coop, predator defense, and bully birds to name a few. My bully birds were rehomed BUT! Before I made the final decision to rehome them a young man on this site and in my state offered to give me, free, a small TSC coop to separate the bullies from the flock. It was such a generous offer and he refused any compensation that I promised to pay it forward somehow. That was our own @Brahma lover 5000.

About a week and a half - two weeks ago Brahma lover 5000 contacted me with apologies but in a desperate situation. He had a White Frizzle Cochin bantam cock with leakage over a Buff Brahma bantam hen. He looks like a Light Brahma bantam. His name is Henry. He is promised to a family but they won’t be ready for him till spring. Henry had begun to crow so Brahma’s family is afraid of getting in trouble. Well God’s timing is perfect. I’m was the middle of disassembling Roopeccas coop to move him into the smaller coop. After a conference with family members we decided it was exactly the answer to paying it forward! My biggest concern was Henry would be alone yet hear my flock, and my rooster, calling out. Poor lonely Henry. We devised a plan to set up the coop away from my flock so we could carry out proper bio security procedures. Coop parts and pieces were scrubbed, bleached, and dried in sunshine. It all took much longer than expected.

I never wanted roosters.

Meanwhile a very timid Brahma Lover 5000 contacted me again. Henry’s hatch mate, Albert, hasn’t crowed yet but should any day. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a promised family. Could I board him and if he’s more than I can handle I can invite him to my dinner table. Another family conference. Ok that solves the lonely Henry problem. If Albert turns out to be a sweet boy maybe he can join my girls after Henry goes to his forever home. If not he swims with the dumplings. Albert is a White Leghorn x Red Sex Link. A big boy! So last Sunday Brahma came up(bit more than an hour away) with the boys. We were assembling the coop as they arrived so I had time to show him around my flocks set up an try to introduce him to some suddenly shy chickens. It took a few hours to finish setting up but Brahma seemed satisfied his baby boys were in good hands.

Did I mention I never wanted roosters?

But tell me. Who could say no to these handsome boys?

View attachment 2453693

View attachment 2453694

View attachment 2453695

Of course 3 days later (yesterday) this happened.

Chicken math is a disease.

The family and I get quite a kick out of these two. I’m hoping Albert (isn’t he handsome?) continues to be a sweetheart. Who knows? Maybe I’ll get courageous and allow some hatching?

Cockerels?

This could be the learning experience I need to get me over the fear of processing birds.

I am having way too much fun!
Thy are stunning boy. Glad you could help out by taking them, roosters (the nice ones) deserve a chance to live to.

@Brahma Chicken5000 is very nice. He also had some gorgeous birds. Are you only temporarily keeping these boys? I enjoy roosters. They add some flash, and behavioral interest to a flock.
He is indeed nice. His flock is such a cool mix. I am fostering Henry till spring. Brahma has a friend that wants him but isn’t set up yet to take him. As for Albert... he’s hatch mate to Henry. He’s keeping Henry from being lonely. In spring Brahma will come get Henry to take to his new home. At that point we will decide if Albert is a suitable candidate for my flock. If not he may be invited to dinner. At least that’s the thought. Brahma can’t keep him, he’s not zoned for roosters.

He is indeed nice. His flock is such a cool mix. I am fostering Henry till spring. Brahma has a friend that wants him but isn’t set up yet to take him. As for Albert... he’s hatch mate to Henry. He’s keeping Henry from being lonely. In spring Brahma will come get Henry to take to his new home. At that point we will decide if Albert is a suitable candidate for my flock. If not he may be invited to dinner. At least that’s the thought. Brahma can’t keep him, he’s not zoned for roosters.
Still its nice to help.

Back
Top Bottom