Fostering: What dog breeds should we avoid?

Pics

MixedFlock23

Songster
Aug 27, 2020
Southern Illinois
We are getting set up to foster dogs (one at a time) through our local humane society. All our pets are outside. We have three cats (in their catio at night & when we are not home; running in the yard/fields when we are home). We have a rabbit (in a hutch mainly, but allowed to hop in her fenced in area (3’ tall fencing). We have 21 chickens also. The chickens are in a fenced in area (5’ fencing) with bird netting on top. They get to “free range” in our half acre only when we are outside.

Foster dog will be on a 20-30’ tie out cable attached to our 90’ long zip line (so it will have the run of the yard without needing fencing) when we are home. Foster dog will be in an enclosed pen (on rock, not concrete) at night and when we are not home.

I can keep the chickens in their run when we have a foster unless the foster dog is in its pen.

We would like to avoid breeds that are known for chasing/killing chickens though. Currently our shelter has a malamute, pit mixes, lab mixes, beagle mixes, and some other hound mixes, but it changes almost daily.

Thoughts?
(Our dachshund lived to be 15 & was around our chickens the last 4 years of her life. She never harmed them. She followed me into their pen and was accidentally locked in there with them for an hour or so and never hurt them. Free range time wasn’t an issue either. So I don’t want to stereotype all hunting breeds or whatever—but I also don’t want to take bigger risks if it’s not necessary.)

The Malamute is gorgeous, but I’m reading about their high prey drive & how much they love to dig and thinking she may not be a good fit. 🤷🏻‍♀️

What would you avoid if you were considering fostering a dog with chickens & cats in the same yard? We will likely only foster each dog for a week or so until it gets adopted.

It's up to the individual dog, although breeds with strong herding/prey instincts might not be a good pick.
I've had dachshunds no problem with my chickens, German Shepherd /chow/collie, Australian Shepherd/golden retriever/lab, all no problem. But they were raised and trained around the chickens.
The worst dog attack I've had was when about 6 of my chickens were killed by French bulldogs, 3 more we had to put down from their injuries and two just disappeared.
Two other minor scare only attacks were by one of those little shaggy white dog of indeterminate parentage and a boxer with poor training.

How about NEVER foster a Cane Corso!!!. There was an incident in an apartment building major city, where the owner let two of them wander the hallway. An elderly woman was approaching her door when the two attacked her, killed and then started eating her body.
As horrendously awful as that is, I have doubts on disparaging whole breeds.
I know someone who was mauled by a Golden Retriever, lost a hand.

I would avoid any type of pitbull. I have heard they are very aggressive. I have a lab and she never touches the chickens. She just minds her own business while they are out.
This is not true of all pitbulls. They have a bad reputation because in the past they were bred shady people who used and abused them for status. This made for some unstable dogs. Today, there are many sweet and loving pitbulls who are just in need of a good owner. I took in a pitbull and it was the sweetest and most lovable dog I've ever had. No regrets.
That said, check with your home insurance provider as they have a list of breeds that, if you own, they won't cover you.

I have a Black Mouth Cur, which is a Tennessee hunting breed and he guards my chickens, without being told or trained.

So it's not about the breed so much as it is about the individual dog and how it was raised.

How about NEVER foster a Cane Corso!!!. There was an incident in an apartment building major city, where the owner let two of them wander the hallway. An elderly woman was approaching her door when the two attacked her, killed and then started eating her body.
I remember that case. It was in San Francisco. Two dogs were involved but it is my understanding that while both dogs chased the woman, only the male actually attacked. I didn't hear anything about them trying to eat her, but I do remember that the dogs were grossly mismanaged and mishandled from day one. The owners of those dogs should not have been trusted with a toy poodle, let alone a large and aggressive dog like a cane corso.

My dog Phoenix is a staffordshire terrier, black lab, boxer & Rottweiler mix. He will bring them a ball/toy to play.. He does get excited, so I tone it down a bit so no one gets hurt. He hasn't hurt them yet, (& hopefully never will). When they free range, they are all in the same area. It'll be 2 years at the beginning of may.
Even, what you think is a docile dog could snap their neck in an instant. It will take more than the week or 2 that you've mentioned to start acclimating them to each other. Be very cautious and keep the dog on a very short leash when your girls are out.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
20191020_180018-1.jpg
20201009_153928_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom