Fostering: What dog breeds should we avoid?

I would avoid any type of pitbull. I have heard they are very aggressive. I have a lab and she never touches the chickens. She just minds her own business while they are out.
Our pitbull is AMAZING with our chicks, cats, chickens, ducklings, and other dogs. Our pit was rescued from the pound after being severely beaten and used as a bait puppy. Our Pomeranian x Dachshund (Remington) kills EVERYTHING that moves. Remington has been raised with all our animals and still finds it a game to kill. He will literally kill just for the sport...he doesn’t eat anything from a bird other than the egg being formed inside. Our Boston Terriers chase our chickens too so we keep a hotwire around the backyard to keep the dogs separate from our chickens in the front yard.

Our pitbull is AMAZING with our chicks, cats, chickens, ducklings, and other dogs. Our pit was rescued from the pound after being severely beaten and used as a bait puppy. Our Pomeranian x Dachshund (Remington) kills EVERYTHING that moves. Remington has been raised with all our animals and still finds it a game to kill. He will literally kill just for the sport...he doesn’t eat anything from a bird other than the egg being formed inside. Our Boston Terriers chase our chickens too so we keep a hotwire around the backyard to keep the dogs separate from our chickens in the front yard.
I had said most dogs are set in their ways but some aren’t

I didn’t mean to stir up things. I’m sorry.

Rocky, the 8 month old puppy beagle pit mix, went on a home visit a few hours before we were to pick him up and foster him. Yay, Rocky! Hopefully they will adopt him.

So we now have a pregnant cat that we are fostering for the next 9-10 weeks. A queen and teeny kittens should be safe for my backyard critters. She is in an extra large dog kennel in my insulated shed. Safely away from my pets that might stress her and safe from any random predators. Safe & cared for and away from the shelter pets that don’t have all their vaccinations yet and that often have upper respiratory illnesses that would kill young kittens.

I know many of you feel like all companion animals should be in the house (on the bed/couch, etc.), but due to my husband’s allergies, the shed & backyard is the best we can do. Fosters are loved here and cared for and we spend most of our day outside with them anyway. I work from home, so I’m here nearly all the time. I did wait until the last possible day before stepping up and fostering—waiting for an indoor foster to get them first... but no indoor person was available at this time.

I’m off to add a “crib bumper” to the crate so, just in case she has her kittens outside the nesting box, they won’t wiggle out of the crate.

Attachments

• B6B3052F-712E-4971-A383-7FAA8B6A2038.jpeg
    B6B3052F-712E-4971-A383-7FAA8B6A2038.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 12
I didn’t mean to stir up things. I’m sorry.

Rocky, the 8 month old puppy beagle pit mix, went on a home visit a few hours before we were to pick him up and foster him. Yay, Rocky! Hopefully they will adopt him.

So we now have a pregnant cat that we are fostering for the next 9-10 weeks. A queen and teeny kittens should be safe for my backyard critters. She is in an extra large dog kennel in my insulated shed. Safely away from my pets that might stress her and safe from any random predators. Safe & cared for and away from the shelter pets that don’t have all their vaccinations yet and that often have upper respiratory illnesses that would kill young kittens.

I know many of you feel like all companion animals should be in the house (on the bed/couch, etc.), but due to my husband’s allergies, the shed & backyard is the best we can do. Fosters are loved here and cared for and we spend most of our day outside with them anyway. I work from home, so I’m here nearly all the time. I did wait until the last possible day before stepping up and fostering—waiting for an indoor foster to get them first... but no indoor person was available at this time.

I’m off to add a “crib bumper” to the crate so, just in case she has her kittens outside the nesting box, they won’t wiggle out of the crate.
She is pretty!

the real APBT is extremely animal aggressive. You probably don't even have a real pit bull.

Most of those breeds either have a big prey drive or hunting backgrounds. But it really depends on the dog!
I have a bird dog mix with a high prey drive towards birds, when we got him he would want to go outside to try and catch any bird that landed in or around the yard. Now I take him to the barn with me almost everyday and he pays no mind to the ducks and geese unless I tell him to herd them or hold one for me.
What you should really look at is energy level and trainability.
pit bulls and any breed of mastiff are pretty easily to train as they seek to please, which is why they are used as guard dogs and were common fighting dog breeds. They also generally have high pain tolerances so they may not realize if they’re hurt.
My cane corso ripped a toenail off one spring and had no idea she had done it.
Now my mix has a really high energy level along with that prey drive so it took a long while to train him not to chase the birds or the cats, but as I said above, he’s great with the birds and the cat now comes to greet him when he comes to the barn and hangs out with him.

Back
Top Bottom