Fostering: What dog breeds should we avoid?

My dog was outside for 11 years and has recently just come inside do to old age. Some dogs enjoy being outside. I adopted a dog and all she wants is to be outside. But she has to be an inside outside because her breed does not fit requirement for outside winters. Beautiful dogs and I think your doing a great favor for where you are
Thank you! I got so discouraged from two of those earlier posts that I quit fostering. Then when I decided to try again, the shelter was under new management and had changed the rules—now, they said, all dogs must be fully vetted (neutered/spayed, vaccinated, microchipped=$$$) before leaving the facility. That immediately stopped all home visits & fostering. Our little country county humane society has no extra funds to spay/neuter, etc before animals get adopted. I don’t have hundreds of dollars extra to donate to pay for fully vetting each foster animal before I take them home.

But! Today I dropped by the shelter, & it’s under new management again! The new animal control officer doesn’t have that rule and so we may be fostering again soon! (Yes, we would still be fostering them outside/in our shed or carport for sleeping, since my husband is still allergic to dogs. Again, I’m home most always & outside most of the day. Our shelter is currently staffed by one or two people and has 16 dog kennels inside and a half dozen extra pens outside, plus several tie outs outside that the dogs take turns using. No A/C anywhere in the building, just fans. So essentially living in my carport or shed and being tied out in my yard is the same as being in the shelter—except for one on one care instead of one or two workers caring for 16+ dogs and 30-50 cats/kittens.) Foster animals get way more individual attention & that alone helps them be some more adoptable, I think. They get way more exercise too since we go on multiple daily walks.
I guess I shouldn’t have to defend my reasons for thinking my way of fostering is helpful to the animals, shelter staff, & future forever families. I don’t force the shelter to send animals home with me. I simply let them know I’m available if they’d like me to help in the ways that I can. They obviously think it’s beneficial to have dogs/cats fostered even outside too. (I don’t foster the cute puppies that are of adoptable age—they get picked quickly and are adopted right away. I do say I’m willing to foster those that are needing training or socialization, too young to be adopted, needing meds/recovering from surgery, etc., raising litters until the offspring are of adoptable age, and any other animal that would benefit from one on one care to help it learn basic commands/manners and be more adoptable. The shelter picks which animals they want me to foster.)
If you prefer that everyone’s companion animals were indoors, then outdoor fosters may offend you, but this year I’m not going to let that bother me. Now that I’m living in rural farming areas, I see that here most animals do live outside including dogs, cats, horses, & chickens. Being outside makes us happy! 🥰

Thank you! I got so discouraged from two of those earlier posts that I quit fostering. Then when I decided to try again, the shelter was under new management and had changed the rules—now, they said, all dogs must be fully vetted (neutered/spayed, vaccinated, microchipped=$$$) before leaving the facility. That immediately stopped all home visits & fostering. Our little country county humane society has no extra funds to spay/neuter, etc before animals get adopted. I don’t have hundreds of dollars extra to donate to pay for fully vetting each foster animal before I take them home.

But! Today I dropped by the shelter, & it’s under new management again! The new animal control officer doesn’t have that rule and so we may be fostering again soon! (Yes, we would still be fostering them outside/in our shed or carport for sleeping, since my husband is still allergic to dogs. Again, I’m home most always & outside most of the day. Our shelter is currently staffed by one or two people and has 16 dog kennels inside and a half dozen extra pens outside, plus several tie outs outside that the dogs take turns using. No A/C anywhere in the building, just fans. So essentially living in my carport or shed and being tied out in my yard is the same as being in the shelter—except for one on one care instead of one or two workers caring for 16+ dogs and 30-50 cats/kittens.) Foster animals get way more individual attention & that alone helps them be some more adoptable, I think. They get way more exercise too since we go on multiple daily walks.
I guess I shouldn’t have to defend my reasons for thinking my way of fostering is helpful to the animals, shelter staff, & future forever families. I don’t force the shelter to send animals home with me. I simply let them know I’m available if they’d like me to help in the ways that I can. They obviously think it’s beneficial to have dogs/cats fostered even outside too. (I don’t foster the cute puppies that are of adoptable age—they get picked quickly and are adopted right away. I do say I’m willing to foster those that are needing training or socialization, too young to be adopted, needing meds/recovering from surgery, etc., raising litters until the offspring are of adoptable age, and any other animal that would benefit from one on one care to help it learn basic commands/manners and be more adoptable. The shelter picks which animals they want me to foster.)
If you prefer that everyone’s companion animals were indoors, then outdoor fosters may offend you, but this year I’m not going to let that bother me. Now that I’m living in rural farming areas, I see that here most animals do live outside including dogs, cats, horses, & chickens. Being outside makes us happy! 🥰
You go ! I am glad to see you are doing it again, I think dogs love being outside it's part of their life. I infact got a new puppy that is deaf and he loves being outside! Here are my beautiful companion 3 out of the 4 were rescues I fell in love with!

Attachments

• 20220510_144645.jpg
    20220510_144645.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220216_210728.jpg
    20220216_210728.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Resized_20220421_165856.jpeg
    Resized_20220421_165856.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211207_172251.jpg
    20211207_172251.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210803_133257.jpg
    20210803_133257.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 4
You go ! I am glad to see you are doing it again, I think dogs love being outside it's part of their life. I infact got a new puppy that is deaf and he loves being outside! Here are my beautiful companion 3 out of the 4 were rescues I fell in love with!
I love them! Such varying sizes too! I tend to fall for about half of the shelter dogs we take for a walk!

I agree with you. My dachshund loved being wherever I was mainly (in or out), but often if I spent too long inside, she’d “ask to go potty” but fake needing to go just to get back outside. 🤣

Today we walked a young, white dog. I hope to spend more time with it soon. So pretty & sweet! Needs lots of training, but that’s understandable.

The animal control officer also showed us a momma and her week old pups that need a foster. We are traveling for two days, but then maybe we will be a good fit for them & be able to foster (until they are of adoptable age).

Attachments

• 4E36BCE2-7EAE-4EE8-B8E9-45E20D4F5BC0.jpeg
    4E36BCE2-7EAE-4EE8-B8E9-45E20D4F5BC0.jpeg
    761.4 KB · Views: 3
I love them! Such varying sizes too! I tend to fall for about half of the shelter dogs we take for a walk!

I agree with you. My dachshund loved being wherever I was mainly (in or out), but often if I spent too long inside, she’d “ask to go potty” but fake needing to go just to get back outside. 🤣

Today we walked a young, white dog. I hope to spend more time with it soon. So pretty & sweet! Needs lots of training, but that’s understandable.

The animal control officer also showed us a momma and her week old pups that need a foster. We are traveling for two days, but then maybe we will be a good fit for them & be able to foster (until they are of adoptable age).
Adorble! Yes we have a XL L meduim when full smeduim lol and 3 out of 4 do very good with are free range chickens.i would love to do dogs again but I have to wait till my saint dies because with old age she is getting picky lol and cant hold up with the large puppys with energy even though she wants to....I dont want her to break a hip 🤣🤣. But I rescued all 5 of my cats a a guinea I rescued yesterday well enough about me lol I got a zoo....but you should definitely keep updates after your vacation

They are adorable! I hate it when somebodies dog is pregnant or has puppies and then drops them off it so sad.

Adorble! Yes we have a XL L meduim when full smeduim lol and 3 out of 4 do very good with are free range chickens.i would love to do dogs again but I have to wait till my saint dies because with old age she is getting picky lol and cant hold up with the large puppys with energy even though she wants to....I dont want her to break a hip 🤣🤣. But I rescued all 5 of my cats a a guinea I rescued yesterday well enough about me lol I got a zoo....but you should definitely keep updates after your vacation
Pls keep updates maybe make a different thread about them!

They are adorable! I hate it when somebodies dog is pregnant or has puppies and then drops them off it so sad.
I agree! This momma has 8 pups! 8!! They seem easy enough to care for today with their eyes closed... but it is crazy to try to imagine 8 two month old licking, wiggling pups in our laps! I guess we wouldn't be trying to leash train 8 puppies that young, so that's good! I'm not sure what all we would be expected to teach them. (To be nice to cats and other dogs and all people... but beyond that idk. I'll have to ask and google!) It'd be fun. I just have to convince my husband it will be fun. :D
Pls keep updates maybe make a different thread about them!
A new thread is a great idea! I'll do that if we get the opportunity to foster them. I'll know next week sometime. :fl

I agree! This momma has 8 pups! 8!! They seem easy enough to care for today with their eyes closed... but it is crazy to try to imagine 8 two month old licking, wiggling pups in our laps! I guess we wouldn't be trying to leash train 8 puppies that young, so that's good! I'm not sure what all we would be expected to teach them. (To be nice to cats and other dogs and all people... but beyond that idk. I'll have to ask and google!) It'd be fun. I just have to convince my husband it will be fun. :D

A new thread is a great idea! I'll do that if we get the opportunity to foster them. I'll know next week sometime. :fl
Yeah i know 8 puppies. My dogs original breeder decided to breed her dog again. And now is stuck with 9 puppies. She was not a good breeder our puppy is healthy but she had a tendency to lack certain nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom