Fostering Wild Mallards ducklings- need leg band suggestions

ducklady1010

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2019
My goal is to let the 2 wild mallard ducklings go free when they can fly.......but I would love to see if they come back. I have been searching for the best leg band for them. I have the plastic spiral type band for my other ducks.......but that doesn't last forever. Any suggestions on where to get decent metal bands?

It all depends on what you have available: Metal rings need special tools and a second person to hold the bird, some plastic (spiral) leg bands require at least a second pair of hands. I am using colored zip-ties that i can attach and detach from my ducks without somebody helping me.
Now Mallard ducks: If you raise them, feed and house them i seriously doubt that they would fly away during the cold season. They may look like "wild ducks" but they aren't! Dumping them, for example into a public pond would be as illegal as releasing a domestic breed duck into the wild. They will neither be able to feed themselves nor will they have the instincts to protect them from predators.
Please be responsible and don't do that to any domesticated duck, it is cruel and they will die a horrible death.

It all depends on what you have available: Metal rings need special tools and a second person to hold the bird, some plastic (spiral) leg bands require at least a second pair of hands. I am using colored zip-ties that i can attach and detach from my ducks without somebody helping me.
Now Mallard ducks: If you raise them, feed and house them i seriously doubt that they would fly away during the cold season. They may look like "wild ducks" but they aren't! Dumping them, for example into a public pond would be as illegal as releasing a domestic breed duck into the wild. They will neither be able to feed themselves nor will they have the instincts to protect them from predators.
Please be responsible and don't do that to any domesticated duck, it is cruel and they will die a horrible death.

You raise some valid points and it is a concern of mine. But, they are welcome to stay. I have 3 Khaki Campbell ducks, an adequate duck house, and small pond. Wild mallards come and go throughout the spring. I am hoping they will learn to forge in the pond area before trying their wings. Predators are always a problem.....even with the protections I offer my domesticated ducks. Yes, you are correct they will be habituated to humans.

I wondered about that. I think my husband will help but I guess I better ask him first. I do have the spiral type and I have had trouble getting them on so I imagine these would be even harder. Not very expensive though which is good if they don't work out for me.

Back
Top Bottom