Found 11 eggs that were a outside for a couple days

ChickenNewbie22

In the Brooder
May 25, 2023
Long story short, I had a small trailer that hooks to mower parked next to where I have my chicken free ranging outside. I had it full of branches and brush that I was cutting down. I was there for 2-3 days, when I went to dump the branches and brush over by our burn pile I found 11 eggs at the bottom of the now empty trailer. We also got a bit of rain a day ago and they did seem like the had gotten wet, my question is are they still good? I scrambled them and they don’t smell bad or anything, some were a bit runnier than others as I was breaking them in the pan but other than that they looked normal, but I am hesitant to feed them back to the chickens. Can someone let me know if they are good to feed to my chickens ( as I would hate to just toss them in the garbage)…but I also wouldn’t want my chickens to end up getting sick from them:(

I would certainly feed them to your chickens. I thought you were going to ask if you could eat them and I'd say definitely not. A little overdone won't bother the chickens though.

are they still good? I scrambled them and they don’t smell bad or anything, some were a bit runnier than others as I was breaking them in the pan but other than that they looked normal
if they look fine and smell fine, they're fine, especially if they were found somewhere that was only open for the hens to lay in for a few days recently (that's how I read your post but it's not totally clear on timing).

For future reference, the float test works: put a suspect egg in a container of fresh clean water. The faster it sinks, the fresher it is. An egg that floats is not necessarily off, but is a few weeks old, and should be opened carefully and separately, looking out for a sulphurous smell, which will tell you it's gone bad.

Back
Top Bottom