found a clutch of eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oneluckychick, Jan 15, 2010.

1. oneluckychick

oneluckychick New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    Our auracanas have recently been erratic in their laying, and today I found out why. I watched one go under the steps and saw her lay an egg on top of 10 others. After some de-construction work on the steps, I got the eggs and they all passed the float test, but I am still wondering if they will be good to eat. It has been COLD here the last 2 weeks, lows in the teens. the eggs were right next to my house, so maybe? I don't know. Any help?

2. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    First, let me say welcome to posting! I would think your eggs should be fine to eat as long as they didn't freeze resulting in cracked shells.

3. oneluckychick

oneluckychick New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    Thank you! I read lots of posts and my questions usually get answered that way [​IMG] But, no, I don't see any cracking. They had dug a little hole and laid in there, so that might help them from freezing. They all lay flat on their sides when put in a pitcher of water. So it looks promising. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I found a clutch of 15 after a two week vacation. That was summer in Texas, they all passed the float test, and tasted fine. As I'm still here, as are the kiddos and hubby, I think you'll be okay eating the eggs. They might even be old enough to peel well when hard boiled....I see egg salad or deviled eggs in your near future. [​IMG]

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

Thanks for joining us.

the eggs should be fine if they passed the float test.

6. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Float test??

7. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Quote:The "float test" is how you test questionable eggs. Put the eggs in a container filled with water. Each egg has an air sac inside the shell that expands with age. An egg that floats has a large air sac and is too old for eating. One that stands straight up is stale( usually 2-3 weeks). Eggs' larger ends will tip up slightly when they are about one week old. Fresh eggs should lay flat.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Incubate!

9. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Candle to look for cracks, in case they froze just enough to break shells but not membranes -- the cracks are so fine and will close up on warming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by