1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found a dead chicken-some "under feathers" missing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HillsideChicks, May 1, 2016.

1. HillsideChicks

HillsideChicks New Egg

May 1, 2016
    I went out to collect eggs this morning and one of my Buff orpingtons was in a nesting box & when I went to sitting on eggs , I noticed her neck was stretched out & she was limp. I picked her up and she was dead:(.......we took her into the garage and checked her out to see if there was anything noticeably wrong (since we have 9 other chickens).....they are all 11 months old....she was missing feathers underneath.....something you would never notice unless you turned a chicken over......is this something anyone else has run into?....do these missing feathers mean anything??.....there was nothing noticeably wrong....they have a great living situation....large run...etc....so sad to lose her and worried about the rest of our flock

2. JadziaDax

JadziaDax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Georgia, USA
    They'll pluck belly feathers when they go broody. She may have gotten egg bound, but it's unlikely the bare belly has anything to do with her actual cause of death.

Sorry for your loss :(

3. gillnpunky

gillnpunky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2015
    Orange CT
    thats sad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by