Found a rabbit under my porch this morning!

Often times it can be more dangerous to keep a rabbit inside rather than outside, they're exposed to lots of dangerous things that they really shouldn't have access to at all. And it's nearly impossible to always have your house rabbit proof, especially with children around. Rabbits are especially delicate in the stomach, one bite of something bad could start to shut down their gi tract and kill them.
There are many ways to easily rabbit-proof a house or even just a small room. If you would like me to go over some ways I can help. :D

I don't know how to respond to that... Are you joking? Sorry but I don't understand.
I'm super sarcastic, that is not what I actually meant.

Actually I speak from a place of experience, I have had rabbits in my house multiple times. I have stayed up all night trying to bottle feed baby bunnies that were abandoned by their mothers. I have rescued bunnies from stasis using yogurt, water, feed, and mollasses. I have just recently had to say goodbye to my most precious ND Brood doe. I have had to do autopsies on more than one sick rabbit that we bought and tried to save. I have run out into lightning storms on more than one occasion to grab the rabbits and bring them into the safety of our house. I have been breeding, showing, and loving my rabbits for years now, but pretty much all of my family is allergic to rabbits. I can't keep them in the house any more, but they live a very happy life outside.

I am not against keeping a rabbit indoors but there are a lot of problems with that situation, most people try it and then decide to get rid of the rabbit because it's a nuisance. This person is obviously going to be a wonderful owner and I would love to see this rabbit stay with them and be a pet. But not everyone can keep up with an all indoor rabbit, especially if they have kids. What if they decide to get rid of him (because they can't keep up with his fancy requirements) and the next person ends up feeling the same way? Then someday he becomes a lonely meat breeder who lives in a tiny wire cage with an auto waterer, a feeder, and a little tiny rusty bell to play with? Wouldn't he be happier with a permanent family that plays with him all the time and loves him? What if he likes living outside? What if he feels safe in his hutch?

What a little sweetie! He (she?) sure picked the right porch to crawl under! So lucky to have found caring people. Whether you end up keeping it or finding a new home, he is definitely better for having been found 🤗

I see that the great indoor vs. outdoor debate is in full swing on this thread. Personally, I am of the opinion that there is no single best answer. Both approaches have pros and cons, and folks in the thread have done an excellent job of listing those. I have a house bun that I love very much. But would not recommend this strategy to just anyone as, depending on your setup and the personality of the rabbit, it can be quite a bit of work (although I get repaid in snuggles ).

There is a also a bunny chat thread on this forum if you have specific questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-bunny-chat-thread-for-bunny-owners.1383000/
Best of luck on your rabbit adventure!
😂😂👍 "The great indoor outdoor debate." I love that!!! Not really what I meant to have happen but yeah I guess that's what it is!

I am not against keeping a rabbit indoors but there are a lot of problems with that situation, most people try it and then decide to get rid of the rabbit because it's a nuisance. What if they decide to get rid of him (because they can't keep up with his fancy requirements) and the next person ends up feeling the same way? Then someday he becomes a lonely meat breeder who lives in a tiny wire cage with an auto waterer, a feeder, and a little tiny rusty bell to play with? Wouldn't he be happier with a permanent family that plays with him all the time and loves him? What if he likes living outside? What if he feels safe in his hutch?
Jezum. Ok, mate let's ring out this crud.
If the owner wants to toss out a rabbit because of poor husbandry they would have not free roamed them. You are acting like an impulsive buyer would allow their "toy" to roam free. Also, most people that do not properly take care of their animals and get bored of them toss them out, not rehome them.
"What if he likes living outside?" Don't you dare try to guilt-trip me with this, they are prey animals. Even wild rabbits enjoy staying inside of a burrow where they are closed in and safe.
"What if he feels safe in his hutch?" Rabbits can actually become attached to their hutches, but it is very bad. They seek their hutches as their only safe place and will deny proper care and will attack their owners just to stay inside it. You don't understand, this attraction is like a parrot with a mirror and it makes them very unstable.
Op made this thread to ask for the best way to raise their rabbit. If you want to wine about the value of hutches pm and we can talk there. Let's not swarm op with this crap, please stop spreading misinformation.

Jezum. Ok, mate let's ring out this crud.
If the owner wants to toss out a rabbit because of poor husbandry they would have not free roamed them. You are acting like an impulsive buyer would allow their "toy" to roam free. Also, most people that do not properly take care of their animals and get bored of them toss them out, not rehome them.
"What if he likes living outside?" Don't you dare try to guilt-trip me with this, they are prey animals. Even wild rabbits enjoy staying inside of a burrow where they are closed in and safe.
"What if he feels safe in his hutch?" Rabbits can actually become attached to their hutches, but it is very bad. They seek their hutches as their only safe place and will deny proper care and will attack their owners just to stay inside it. You don't understand, this attraction is like a parrot with a mirror and it makes them very unstable.
Op made this thread to ask for the best way to raise their rabbit. If you want to wine about the value of hutches pm and we can talk there. Let's not swarm op with this crap, please stop spreading misinformation
sorry☹️

I am going to be keeping my rabbits outside (kind of). I would love to free roam indoors, and I will still promote that, but I can't for a few reasons. 1, I'm allergic to rabbits and timothy hay. 2, my parents don't want an indoor rabbit. 3, I already have two dogs inside, not that they aren't rabbit friendly but it would be too much for my allergies.

So, I came up with a design to provide them with everything they would have free roaming indoors. It'll look something like this but cuter
1618878394456.png

There will be a 10x10 foot indoor room with AC and tons of toys, teepees, tunnels, hay, etc.
Kinda like this
1618878537436.png

And a 10x10 foot predator proof run with a roof, which they will have access to during the day.
1618878644581.png
1618878742827.png

I'm going to adopt an already bonded pair so they can keep each other company while I am not around. But I'll probably be spending most of my time with them in there.

That checks off all the problems (predators, overheating, boredom, limited space, lack of enrichment).

Obviously not everyone can do this. It's expensive and a lot of work to build. Free roaming indoors is a much much cheaper option. But this is just an idea for what you can do for rabbit enclosures.

But for people looking to get a rabbit, if you cannot provide all their needs and give them the best life possible then a rabbit is probably not the best choice for you.

At the end of the day, what matters most is the rabbits well being. Not how convenient it is for you to keep them in a small hutch or cage.

Attachments

• 1618878708980.png
    1618878708980.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1618878727043.png
    1618878727043.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 1
I am going to be keeping my rabbits outside (kind of). I would love to free roam indoors, and I will still promote that, but I can't for a few reasons. 1, I'm allergic to rabbits and timothy hay. 2, my parents don't want an indoor rabbit. 3, I already have two dogs inside, not that they aren't rabbit friendly but it would be too much for my allergies.

So, I came up with a design to provide them with everything they would have free roaming indoors. It'll look something like this but cuter
View attachment 2625306

There will be a 10x10 foot indoor room with AC and tons of toys, teepees, tunnels, hay, etc.
Kinda like this
View attachment 2625312

And a 10x10 foot predator proof run with a roof, which they will have access to during the day.
View attachment 2625313View attachment 2625317

I'm going to adopt an already bonded pair so they can keep each other company while I am not around. But I'll probably be spending most of my time with them in there.

That checks off all the problems (predators, overheating, boredom, limited space, lack of enrichment).

Obviously not everyone can do this. It's expensive and a lot of work to build. Free roaming indoors is a much much cheaper option. But this is just an idea for what you can do for rabbit enclosures.

But for people looking to get a rabbit, if you cannot provide all their needs and give them the best life possible then a rabbit is probably not the best choice for you.

At the end of the day, what matters most is the rabbits well being. Not how convenient it is for you to keep them in a small hutch or cage.

Hershey, AKA "Chocolate Milk" wonders if you might like to adopt a bunny, and is plotting his next escape. I could just about live in there. In fact, that might be nicer than my first apartment, lol. JK.

Back
Top Bottom