Found a rabbit under my porch this morning!

Oh, I must have missed it! I would love to ramble about goats. I'm kind of obsessed with goats....gearing up to be a crazy goat lady I think. I have to run out to do some errands in a bit (to get a cable spool for the goats, actually haha), but I'll look for your post and respond tonight when I have some free time!
It's titled 'Everything GOATS' and it'll be the first thing that comes up on the thread search.

Hershey has been a real easy keeper so far. He's still indoors in the playroom which has been childproofed--so it is pretty ideal. He will chew on cords I found when I was charging my phone in the wrong place, but there's usually only one cord in the playroom which already has a cord protector for my kids. He hasn't chewed on the woodwork (thus far, cross fingers) and he uses his litterbox. I leave the door to his cage open much of the day and he goes back to the litter box in his cage to pee/poop. I toss the litter box contents in the compost bin every day or two. It only stinks when I'm late changing the litter. I can't let him have the run of the whole house because of our dogs, but I think he has enough space in the playroom. Ocassionally, we take him out in a playpen to play in the grass and shade on nice days.

View attachment 2731340
What a lucky little bunny to have found such a perfect home :love Sounds like he has settled right in.

I do agree that there seems to be something irresistible about phone chargers. I just bought a five pack of lighting cables after Niven managed to kill yet another one.

What a lucky little bunny to have found such a perfect home :love Sounds like he has settled right in.

I do agree that there seems to be something irresistible about phone chargers. I just bought a five pack of lighting cables after Niven managed to kill yet another one.
My little Victoria never ever ate cords for some reason, she did pee all over my bookshelf and definitely ruined a couple of volumes though😂. She was a Californian baby that was dying from GI stasis and starvation (managed to save her in the nick of time), she used to live in my room and would jump on my bed and wake me up in the mornings. I eventually had to move her outside because the family has allergies, she stayed sweet til the day she passed away, miss her.

My little Victoria never ever ate cords for some reason, she did pee all over my bookshelf and definitely ruined a couple of volumes though😂. She was a Californian baby that was dying from GI stasis and starvation (managed to save her in the nick of time), she used to live in my room and would jump on my bed and wake me up in the mornings. I eventually had to move her outside because the family has allergies, she stayed sweet til the day she passed away, miss her.
She sounds like she was a special bunny.

Well, we're far from perfect (Hershey might prefer no dogs, lol) but I hope he's happy. :)

Rabbit, Rooster, they both love to romp in the hay. Maybe someone didn't lose him and he just happened along and made it past the hawks and the stewpot.

Being he was in the wild etc, he could very well have worms etc, if you are going to keep him for the kid, might want to think about a quick trip to the vet, just to check everything out. It'd kind of suck giving the kid a pet rabbit and it kicks the O2 habit a week later. Although you could then give your kid a lucky rabbit foot. Hey at least he wont have to feed it or shovel pelletized poop!

Aaron

I keep my rabbits outside in their own section of our chicken coop. We started with one in the house, but they kick litter and hay everywhere. He looks like a mix to me, maybe part mini rex. Rabbits are territorial and will fight with each other. I have heard of people's rabbits getting along fine if they are raised together. I keep mine in their own separate cages to avoid fighting. I have been raising mine for meat for a few years now. I am definitely not an expert.
Mine live with my chickens and are fine never had an issue with them fighting good luck with yours

Did you end up keeping the bunny??
We did end up keeping him. I thought we might try to rehome or find a rescue if we couldn’t litter box train him or if he chewed up the woodwork, but so far so good. He’s a really fun and friendly bunny. I had a few pet rabbits when I was young, but they never liked to be touched. Hershey likes to be petted and seems to enjoy people so that is endearing. Doesn’t like to be picked up, but I don’t need to carry him often, and he tolerates it when it’s necessary.

Last edited:
We did end up keeping him. I thought we might try to rehome or find a rescue if we couldn’t litter box train him or if he chewed up the woodwork, but so far so good. He’s a really fun and friendly bunny. I had a few pet rabbits when I was young, but they never liked to be touched. Hershey likes to be petted and seems to enjoy people so that is endearing. Doesn’t like to be picked up, but I don’t need to carry him often, and he tolerates it when it’s necessary.
Oh, I do love a happy ending! :love

Back
Top Bottom