Found a random rooster on the side of the road on my way to school with torn up feet and it was getting hot so I brought him home, what now?

You may want help. When holding a rooster with established spurs, that's skittish, for your safety, it's best to hold his feet during the cleaning process and with struggling roosters it is difficult to hold the feet the rooster, and clean him at the same time. You don't know this rooster, he could be skittish because he's scared and actually be a mellow fellow, He could be scared but actually really mean, or he could simply just be naturally skittish. For trimming the spurs, take little bits at a time. I find it easier to use a rotary tool of some sort and gently shave it off.

For medical care, you might want to start by thoroughly flushing out the wounds before applying disinfectant sprays like vetrycin.
He seems to be rather mellow now. I wandered in earlier today and I was humming a song from the musical “the Sound of Music” and he relaxed so much… he almost fell asleep lol. I’m going to be assisting my mom with him and I think it’ll go well(hopefully)

He seems to be rather mellow now. I wandered in earlier today and I was humming a song from the musical “the Sound of Music” and he relaxed so much… he almost fell asleep lol. I’m going to be assisting my mom with him and I think it’ll go well(hopefully)
Glad to hear it. I'd take him for my flock but we don't take adults from out of state unless it's a pure breed we want, and we have to many as it is.

We’ve bough the supplies to treat his mites and began his treatment! We also examined his spurs and decided that it’s very possible that if we trimmed then it could do more harm than good. it seems pretty deep and if we trim then it could hit the quick. So far, treatment is going quite well other than that :)

Last edited:
my chickens love mealworms. Give him some and he is sure to love people. Mealworms are the way to a chickens heart.❤️
For ours it’s sunflower seeds. 😊

OP you have a great heart and the rooster is so lucky to have you caring for him! You have gotten some really great advice. Good luck to both of you! ❤️

Yeah, I think Tank/Chance here was dumped. Poor guy. You've gotten good advice here. Those legs are awful. It'll take a lot of time/care to get those legs set to right again. I might try Ivermectin for the leg mites, but it'll take weeks of soaking and scrubbing to get those gnarly scales off. And those spurs have got to go! I feel bad for this fella. I'm so glad you are doing what you can for him while you've got him.
I would also but garlic in his water mites had garlic

We’ve bough the supplies to treat his mites and began his treatment! We also examined his spurs and decided that it’s very possible that if we trimmed then it could do more harm than good. it seems pretty deep and if we trim then it could hit the quick. So far, treatment is going quite well other than that :)
Good news and bad news.
my dad thinks he might know where the roo is from, a property not too far from where we found him.
bad news is that we might not have enough time to help him before returning him
Does he belong to the people down the road or not?

What are you going to do with him? Keep him? If so, do you have housing/pen for him? Food?

Back
Top Bottom