Found an EGG in the pond!!!

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I've got a black swede that lays most every day, her eggs are the size of a large chicken egg, and are white, and not real grungy... I have 5 baby duckies, about 22 weeks old, 2 mallard, 2 KCs, and a pekin... my boy found a little tiny duck egg in the pond today, who laid it?

I'll guess the mallard if it is a small egg. My friend that has mallard, cayugas and rouens didn't know her ducks were even laying until she found a bunch at the bottom of her pond.

See, based on size, I would have thought the mallard, but i wonder about seasonal laying.. shouldn't they wait until spring? do duck eggs start out small, like fart eggs with chickens? I don't remember, it's been a long time since I got beginner duck eggs... and, just in case anyone was wondering, the egg sank...

You can't tell by size. My Welsh Harlequins (close cousins to a khaki) are laying eggs right now the size of a medium chicken egg. Eventually they will be more like the size of a jumbo chicken egg. My money is on one of the khakis.

Now, if the egg is green or blue tinted, then it is the mallard. Off-white...I say khaki.

Back
Top Bottom