1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found an EGG in the pond!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Sep 23, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got a black swede that lays most every day, her eggs are the size of a large chicken egg, and are white, and not real grungy... I have 5 baby duckies, about 22 weeks old, 2 mallard, 2 KCs, and a pekin... my boy found a little tiny duck egg in the pond today, who laid it?

2. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    WOw, laying in the water...

3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I'll guess the mallard if it is a small egg. My friend that has mallard, cayugas and rouens didn't know her ducks were even laying until she found a bunch at the bottom of her pond.

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

See, based on size, I would have thought the mallard, but i wonder about seasonal laying.. shouldn't they wait until spring? do duck eggs start out small, like fart eggs with chickens? I don't remember, it's been a long time since I got beginner duck eggs... and, just in case anyone was wondering, the egg sank...

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can't tell by size. My Welsh Harlequins (close cousins to a khaki) are laying eggs right now the size of a medium chicken egg. Eventually they will be more like the size of a jumbo chicken egg. My money is on one of the khakis.

Now, if the egg is green or blue tinted, then it is the mallard. Off-white...I say khaki.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by