Found an Opposum in my Lilacs!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mycookoonest, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    We heard a little screech (well sort of) and my Bella was barking... so DH goes out to see what was going on. The Opposom was up the lilac (Thank you Bella). Dh then decides to hose it out but low and behold it wouldn't get out. This is a 6:15 this morning. So DH grabs the BB gun and pelts him. I would have rather him take the .22 but it was early and it was in the lilacs between our neighbors house and ours and I really didn't want him hitting his house!

Do you think this is enough to keep the critter away? DH's putting the Have a heart trap out tonight so maybe we'll get him and be able to dispose of him... Let's just say my chickens are going to be ok come Heck or high water... if I have to set up camp in the coop so be it! Heck they may actually like that! LOL!

Thank Goodness they weren't free ranging we let them out for a few hours at night when we're outside but other than that we keep them in their coop and run!

2. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    What the heck do I put in the trap for the Opposum?

3. Jaimi

Jaimi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    North Central Alabama
    Cat food [​IMG] Try not to kill him if you can help it, they are good lil' varment disposers. [​IMG] Have a river or bridge you can put him on the other side of???

4. fiddlefever

fiddlefever Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    What has worked with us this year is canned sardines in oil. We just put the sardines on a paper plate and have caught 7 so far this year.

Good Luck!

5. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Try using Marshmellows, they dont attract the felines.

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Possums are pretty cool little critters. America's only marsupials. They're so ugly they're cute, and they actually make good pets.

They aren't much of a threat to adult chickens, free-ranging or not.

If you're really concerned, take him for a ride and drop him off a few miles away.

If you absolutely, positively feel the need to kill it, make sure you eat it so you don't anger the gods. They're tasty, believe it or not.

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    mmmmmm opossum pie hahaha

8. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:They sure do make good pets, meet Susie. HE lol ,is about 3 months old now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agree, please try to not kill it. If you move it, jist take it a few hundred yards away and not much further. They have a difficult time surviving out of thier family territory.

If ya do kill it, they really do taste pretty good.

9. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Ummm well... ok it is kinda cute! What about those teeth??

10. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    This is Chloe when she was a baby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now she's about 6 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's a good girl and sweet and cuddly. Sure she has teeth but so do cats and dogs. She's never bitten me except when she was a little tyke and had her first bath. She does growl if she feels threatened.

Opossums are neat creatures and not harmful at all. I've several that live around the house and as long as I keep the ducks locked up at night they never bother them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by