Found baby mice

Where did you find them?
I recommend contacting your local wildlife rehab. Young mice, especially wild ones, are very difficult to keep alive. Even if they are not able to take them in they may be able to offer some advice.
A coworker found them under a cement block on a lease where we were working, in forest-y area. That’s what I would do, if that was an option, but we don’t have one around my area.
They look to be around 10 days old. Don't feed them anything cold, and keep them somewhere warm. Kitten formula or goats milk would be best for them. A syringe or eyedropper is what I would use but a clean makeup/paint brush can work. Keep their noses clear of any food so they can breathe. They should have a full, wrinkle free belly at the end of each feeding. Be sure to check their bums as well, it's important to keep it clean and clear so they can continue to pass food. A damp, warm, q-tip can work for this. They'll need to be fed about 6 times a day, from what I have read.
They currently have a temporary nest in a hard hat full of shredded tissues, which is sitting on a heated seat in the sunshine, they seem to be warm. Thanks for all the info!

Do you want to keep them as pets? Are you prepared for when they have babies of there own, or keeping the males & females separated so no babies happen? If they refuse to live peacefully in same-sex groups, are you prepared to give them individual cages?

Or would you try to turn them loose? Most people do not want mice around, so there is a good chance that someone would trap or poison them. Even if that does not happen, they might starve, or get eaten by a predator, because they will not have the right skills to keep themselves fed and safe.

Personally, I wouldn't try to raise baby mice. I would leave them alone where they were, or give them to a cat/dog/chicken, or dispatch them myself rather than letting them die of other causes. But that is me, not you, and what is "right" for me may not be the decision you choose to make.
I have thought of this. If they survive, I will release them. I realize what might happen ti them, but that really all I can do.
Thanks

I’m not anywhere near an expert, but I’ve tried my best to save a few orphaned babies from the hay fields.

Often they die. It sounds terrible but they’re just really delicate and hard for humans to care for.

I fed mine either warm milk (not too warm, just a little over room temp) or kitten formula (not sure if that was the right thing to do, it was a last resort). The other thing to watch out for is to make sure they’re clean. Like chicks, their butts can get all nasty, as well as their mouths. They eat a lot, like every hour or two, and they can’t eat much at one time.

Apparently the mother mouse would lick or massage them after feeding, to keep their digestive systems moving? I’m not sure about that, it’s been a long time and all my information came from my neighbors and the internet.

Probably the best thing to do would to bring them to a wildlife rehab center. In my experience, it’s more trouble and heartbreak than it’s worth to try it yourself. But by all means don’t take my word for it, I definitely didn’t know what I was doing and didn’t have the right setup. Good luck with whatever you choose to do! I hope everything goes well!
Yes I know there’s a good chance they don’t survive, but I didn’t want them to die without trying to help them.

Thought I’d update y’all. The babies made it home safe and seem to be doing well. I’m going to try to go get some kitten formula from the vet clinic tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom