Found Bloody poop & I have ducks! *** I just found the worms too ***

noriko

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
N E Pennsylvania
I found some bloody poop(almost pure blood) in the coop & run this morning. I also found one Ameraucana was acting like she got Cocci (just stood there & looked cold) & another Ameraucana's both of his/her eyes were shut! My husband & I washed & cleaned his/her eyes but, his eye lids were glue shut and swollen. I don't really know what's going on with his/her eyes isue.... I'm going to put Liquid Sulmet in the waterer because I found some bloody poop & I think they got Cocci.

I have some ducks with my chickens and they share water with my chickens. I was wondering if I can put Liquid Sulmet in the waterer because ducks will drink more water with Sulmet than chickens & that could harm or kill my ducks? Do I have to separate them from the chicken? But, I think the ducks might got Cocci too.

I was wondering one more thing....I was going to deworm them because it's been raining a lot here & so muddy & moldy everywhere. And I haven't dewormed them yet. Do you think the worms can cause this bloody poop too?

Thank you for your help. Noriko.

Last edited:
You'll need to separate them. Sulmet isn't good for the ducks and they will certainly be getting larger doses. You're right in thinking that they drink more water.

Thank you very much for your reply, Soccer Mom! I separated the ducks from the chickens. I just put Sulmet in the chickens water. BUT!!!! I found new bloody poop around my chicken coop so, I checked it again. AND!!! I found some little worms moving in it!!!!! (I didn't see any of worms in their bloody poop this morning). I'm so upset right now. I can't tell what kind of worms they are because they are so short & tiny but, I'm pretty sure they are not tapeworms. They look like more pin worms....so, maybe they are larva of roundworms or something? So, do you think the worms cause the bloody poop in this case? I don't really think I can add some Wazine to the water after I've already put Sulmet in it. Should I just dump the water now & give them new water with Wazine in it or I can just add Wazine in the water with Sulmet?? Anyway, I don't have any Wazine or some other stronger medicine for the worms now so, I have to go get them. And one more thing....I was wondering if the worms will die after they came out of the chickens or I have to do something to the worms in the poopy everywhere like in the coop....in the run.....?

Thank you so much for your information! Noriko.

Per my PM, continue with Sulmet per instructions on label. Monitor stools after it is complete. Follow by a course of probiotics. If you are still concerned for worms, worm with Wazine after.

For the eye issue, if chickens get overwhelmed with one illness/parasite, it allows other nasties in. This could be the issue here, which may have led to some additional viral or bacterial infection. Focus on the parasite load right now and get that straightened out. One thing at a time. And don't forget the probiotics - all chemicals are harsh on the chicken gut.

Thank you very much Jody! I'll continue Sulmet with them & keep my eyes on them. I'll give them Poultry Vitamin & scrumbled eggs later. I have to get more Yorgult too. All of my chickens and ducks are under the back porch hiding from the sun. Go get some water!!! It's really hot today. Anyway, I'm going to get Wazine just for incase later. I'll let you know & Thanks again, Noriko. ***Thank you for answering my PM too***

Can Ducks get Cocci or Worms too, right sice they are birds too....?!

Back
Top Bottom