found dead hen in yard

jrbeck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
We have about 20 chickens. We let them free range when we are out in the yard with them. They were out today while my husband and children were out doing yard work. After a awhile they noticed a dead hen in the yard. She seems to have a bloody vent area. Wondering if an animal got her or if there is a disease that could've caused it? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

It might have been lice.
Lice live on the vents of chickens and eat the skin on the vent, causing infection.
I would check the other chickens to see if there are any lice or lice eggs on thier vents.
Good luck!

It's possible that an animal got her, but another scenario would be that she was pecked to death by the chickens. She may have had a prolapsed vent that the others pecked since they are attracted to red. Are any of your chickens aggressive?

Thanks for the suggestions. We checked the other birds for lice and they seem to be clean. Also, my husband just told me the that the bloody whole was next to her vent not actually her vent. So I'm thinking an animal must of done it now. Not sure what would do that then just leave the hen...? It wasn't that far from where everybody was outside.

Back
Top Bottom