1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

found dying quail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 300hj, Dec 29, 2011.

1. 300hj

300hj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    this afternoon i found one of my button quails collapsed on the side of its cage with his head sticking straight up. he was looking a little sick the day before but i thought it was because last night was particularly cold. when i picked him up, the posture of the bird was really unnatural. His head was looking directly up and you could see the bottom of the neck protruding from the bottom of the chest. what could this be?

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    How is its breathing? heavy like its struggling to breathe?

3. 300hj

300hj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    well he is breathing but probably will die...

4. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Is he breathing with mouth open like gaping for air? If so if it was a chicken I would say gapeworm but Im not familiar with quail. You could try giving it some sugar water just put a drop on its beak or get something small and touch its beak in the water and see if it will drink.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Sounds like a textbook "boink". How is the ceiling of their enclosure? Is there anything he could have jumped up to and bumped his head? Buttons are notorious for boinking injury which usually leads to death or paralysis.

6. 300hj

300hj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    i thought it had gotten hurt too...but it was a bit lethargic yesterday too so i didn't think it was injury related. and he wasn't really gasping for air either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by