found ee on top of coop

granmahen

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I heard a lot of squawking in the backyard (hens were free-ranging) and ran out to see who was causing trouble. Decided to put them all in time out (back in pens) but couldn't find brown ee. I heard a brauk-brauk and looked up. There she was on top of coop, looking at me like "well, how'd I get here? Don't just stand there, get me down." Then, wonder of wonders (she's my nervous nelly) she let me scoop her up and put her into her run. Well, I had clipped her wings before, but she's so light weight she still can get some height if she's upset. I'll try cllipping a bit more, otherwise, with large dogs on all sides, I'm thinking I'd better keep her in lock down, or maybe not let her out with the others, just by herself. Ideas?
idunno.gif

Hmmmm...my EE is also a very curious, outgoing, out of the box kind of little chicken. She just seems to get into more than the others. I don't know that containing her for a week or two will "fix" her curiousity. You may just have to risk it with her??? Of course try clipping a wing a bit more. Also, try placing roosts in areas away from the fence to possibly entice exploring there rather than the coop or the fence??? Good luck!

I always wondered if I could attach lead weights to my Leghorn's legs instead of leg bands.
tongue.png
Durn birds are so light and flighty!!!

When clipping one wing's feathers didn't solve the escaping problem, in frustration one night I chopped the other side off too. Seems that rather than "unbalancing" them it makes them not be able to create enough "lift" --- they can't get over 3ft up without a LOT of struggle. They don't go over my 5ft fence anymore.

My girl blossom got on top of the hen house and acted like she couldn't get down so I called her for a little while and she kept attempting to step off the top and then wouldn't do it. so I turned around to find a stick or something to help her down and she flew down on to my shoulder NOW she thinks thats where she needs to be anytime Im out there with them, Silly girl! LOL

My EE are my best fliers. I have one that always flies up and sleeps in the rafter. I am not sure how she is able to do that because the space that she goes to is barely big enough for her.
When the chicks are all out in the yard the EE will fly half way across the yard. None of the others come close to being able to fly like that.

One of my EE's and two SLW's like to fly out of the 10' high run. The EE will fly out and lay her morning egg in the barn (hates the nest boxes?!) and will fly back in to hang with her buddies. I don't clip wings here though--nothing against it, they just free range and I want them to have a chance at the barn rafters if a predator comes to call and my dogs don't get there in time.

My EEs and araucanas were my AWOLers and one day I found my EE on top of the coop and the next day I found her in my garden, making a nice cozy area in my carrots of my square footer. She messed up a whole foot of them. Thats when I took away the balance in my whole flock. All the left wings got cut. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom