Found eggs, probably Mixed Parentage

Zootopia

Songster
8 Years
Dec 13, 2011
Abilene, Texas
I work at a Zoo and a co-worker gave me 4 duck eggs found in a flower bed. We have Mallards, Muscovy, and white duck pairs who roam around and beg for bread so no telling what the parents are. I candled them when I brought them home and didn't see any development, sat them on the 17th. Candled them today and there are veins so now any idea about how long before they hatch? I do understand there are differences depending on the breed, correct? The eggs have a slight green cast to them.

Slight green cast is a indication it may be a mallard. Are the eggs tiny?
I work at a Zoo and a co-worker gave me 4 duck eggs found in a flower bed. We have Mallards, Muscovy, and white duck pairs who roam around and beg for bread so no telling what the parents are. I candled them when I brought them home and didn't see any development, sat them on the 17th. Candled them today and there are veins so now any idea about how long before they hatch? I do understand there are differences depending on the breed, correct? The eggs have a slight green cast to them.

No they are lg-med, not like the pure mallard eggs I see. We have lots of nests on the lakeside perimeter and the pure mallards nests are harder to find but the skunks raid them and I see the small green eggs they lay. I'm sure these are mixed due to the size as well as the lighter color of the eggs.

No they are lg-med, not like the pure mallard eggs I see. We have lots of nests on the lakeside perimeter and the pure mallards nests are harder to find but the skunks raid them and I see the small green eggs they lay. I'm sure these are mixed due to the size as well as the lighter color of the eggs.
Looking forward to seeing what you get...
pop.gif

Hummm, So the question is, when do I stop turning? I guess I'll try going by how full the egg seems, that should give me a pretty good guess, right?. WOW 35 for Muscovy? I asked the co worker who found them and looking at the area of the nest I'm gonna say the hen is a Peking mix and the drake is a mallard. Saw her on the nest last night with 2 more eggs.

Hummm, So the question is, when do I stop turning? I guess I'll try going by how full the egg seems, that should give me a pretty good guess, right?. WOW 35 for Muscovy? I asked the co worker who found them and looking at the area of the nest I'm gonna say the hen is a Peking mix and the drake is a mallard. Saw her on the nest last night with 2 more eggs.
I know nothing about hatching in a bator but i'll take you to those that do ,be right back
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nown-as-hatch-day-is-today/32340#post_9032236

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Lydia, I'll check it out. I considered giving them to my broody Cochin, but I had guinea eggs for her. She could cover them all no problem, but since I don't know when they'd hatch figured it's not a great idea. Maybe I'll get another broody soon. It does seem to be contagious.

Back
Top Bottom