Found eggs under tree... now what?

Chickiee

Songster
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
Jackson, WI (Southeast WI)
Our little brown leghorn just started laying eggs a week ago Sunday (Aug 5). We were in the process of finishing the coop and so she didn't have a nestbox and layed the egg in a garage. We moved all poultry to the coop that day. She layed her next egg in the nestbox next to my ceramic "this-is-where-I-want-you-to-lay-eggs" fake egg training tool on Saturday (almost a week after the first egg)... in the nestbox (good girl!). This afternoon I found 2 of her eggs under a low shrub-like tree. How do I know if they are safe to eat since I don't know how long they've been there? I was thinking about leaving the poultry in the coop a bit later tomorrow... Maybe until lunchtime, so they can lay where they are supposed to and not be distracted by free-ranging. Any thoughts on this? 8 hens of various breeds housed with 2 ducks in approx 8x8 coop. Our white Plymouth Rock also just started laying this last week nicely about every other day in the next box... Thanks for any comments! :)

Hello :)
As for the eggs you found in the shrub, I would float test them. This can be done by filling a glass or container with enough water to cover the egg. If it floats, it is bad, sinks it is good. I would keep an eye out for other garden nests too. We leave our hens in their coop and run until they have layed. In the afternoon we let them free range. I hope this helps :)

Hi Birdlife99! Thanks for your info... Since we're new with the coop and free-ranging... Will they get "cabin fever" a bit if I leave them inside the coop that long? I love the idea and I'm sure mine will survive just fine, but in trying to have happy poultry... I don't know... It just seems they are SO eager to get out and run (literally) around. 8x8 should be plenty of inside room for them. Maybe I'll give them a treat so they're not bored. :p

Hi Birdlife99! Thanks for your info... Since we're new with the coop and free-ranging... Will they get "cabin fever" a bit if I leave them inside the coop that long? I love the idea and I'm sure mine will survive just fine, but in trying to have happy poultry... I don't know... It just seems they are SO eager to get out and run (literally) around. 8x8 should be plenty of inside room for them. Maybe I'll give them a treat so they're not bored. :p

Leaving them in the coop till they lay then letting them out is fine. They have to get trained to the use of the nests. Once they get in the habit you can leave them out earlier. The hens will be fine for a few more hours a day in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom