Found green spots on fried eggs

itsmarianne

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
My sex-link hens just started laying on Christmas day. This morning I fried two of their eggs that were laid yesterday, and there were a couple green spots on them once they were cooked. Did not smell or taste funny. The eggs had sat out in the cold for a good while before collecting and may have partially frozen. Does anyone have experience with green spots on cooked eggs and what it may be from?
Thanks, Marianne

c

It may just be something they ate, or it may be a result of freezing and thawing, or both. If it continues, then it may be a problem, but it's not uncommon for hens to lay weird eggs, especially when they are beginning to lay.

Green eggs and ham? lol- Did you see the spots on the eggs before frying them? Laugh but I have kids that wash dishes and always leave food in the pans and I always re-wash before frying my eggs. Could it be something left in the pan? Its crazy!
Quote:

You might consider bacterial growth in the hen's oviduct. I don't know if that is what it is...maybe if it recurs you might want to have a vet see an egg.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/34/rotten-eggs

I have not seen green in my chickens' eggs.

Since they have just started laying personally I would be inclined to wait and see. But I wouldn't eat an egg with green in it. Hens do lay funny eggs sometimes when they are gettin' things going, LOL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom