Found green spots on fried eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsmarianne, Jan 3, 2012.

1. itsmarianne

itsmarianne Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    My sex-link hens just started laying on Christmas day. This morning I fried two of their eggs that were laid yesterday, and there were a couple green spots on them once they were cooked. Did not smell or taste funny. The eggs had sat out in the cold for a good while before collecting and may have partially frozen. Does anyone have experience with green spots on cooked eggs and what it may be from?
    Thanks, Marianne

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    It may just be something they ate, or it may be a result of freezing and thawing, or both. If it continues, then it may be a problem, but it's not uncommon for hens to lay weird eggs, especially when they are beginning to lay.
  3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Green eggs and ham? lol- Did you see the spots on the eggs before frying them? Laugh but I have kids that wash dishes and always leave food in the pans and I always re-wash before frying my eggs. Could it be something left in the pan? Its crazy!
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You might consider bacterial growth in the hen's oviduct. I don't know if that is what it is...maybe if it recurs you might want to have a vet see an egg.

I have not seen green in my chickens' eggs.

Since they have just started laying personally I would be inclined to wait and see. But I wouldn't eat an egg with green in it. Hens do lay funny eggs sometimes when they are gettin' things going, LOL.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by