Found Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BillM2, Dec 27, 2016.

1. BillM2

BillM2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    We found another stray hen today, the second in six months, down the street from us. There are no other nearby families with chickens so I suspect people are beginning to drop them off when they can no longer care for them. But my concern is with health. The one found today looks pretty healthy with no watery eyes, the vent looks good, the legs are a little rough, but besides being quite hungry and thirsty, she was in decent shape. Her comb looked pecked at so maybe she was being picked on. Anyway, she was very happy eating, making noises and seems quite calm and happy.

What health issues should I look out for? What precautions should I take. It's winter and the nights are very cold and I'd rather not leave her in the covered run until morning. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Some people will throw out chickens with diseases so i would quarantine her for a few months.My Friends wife saw a chicken wandering and she put it in the coop and it had mareks and killed them all.

3. BillM2

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    Thanks for that! Doesn't Marek's disease more commonly affect younger chickens? Under 16 weeks of age? What physical signs of Marek's or other signs of other diseases should I look out for? This hen looks much older. Perhaps she was discarded because she wasn't laying any more.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Mareks will affect chickens under 16 weeks because they have a weaker immune system.It can definitely happen to older chickens.The symptoms are Weakness,Paralysis,Death and Anorexia .

5. BillM2

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    So are there physical symptoms in the early stages because this hen is showing none mentioned? Is there a test?

I've now put her in an enclosure for the night with food, water and plenty of straw for bedding. There's also a low temp pet heating pad inside which should keep her warm. An hour ago she had escaped from a makeshift pen and I found her tight against our house all puffed up trying to stay warm. What else might I do?

[​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy BillM2

I second the extended quarantine time. However, there is always the risk that the stray could be a carrier of something and showing no symptoms but still with the possibility of infecting a flock on integration.

When you say “the legs are a little rough”, it is not scaly leg mite?

7. BillM2

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    Thank you! I wouldn't know but will look up some photos. Do you know a source for such?

8. BillM2

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

10. BillM2

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    I'll read through that though treatment from what I've initially read doesn't seem too difficult. I just don't want to spread anything to our flock. Perhaps this isn't a good idea.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by