found her first nest, now what!

If I move the nest in hopes of a few possibly hatching, what are the chances, do you think of her abandoning her nest?
You do run the risk of her leaving them but you also run the risk of losing her and her eggs to. I'd try to move her into your Fl. room. move as much of the nest you can and put her in a very quiet section out of the way of foot traffic. maybe block it off so she can't get out for a day or 2. just put food and water with her. Hopefully she'll settle right down. In other words if you move her have everything already in place so when you move the nest and her all you'll have to do is close it off and walk away. after she has settled down then give her the option of coming out to bath and have some R&R, she may even try to go back to original nest sight but you just pick her up and carry her to the one where her eggs are. When I had to move my broody duck I moved her into an Xlarge dog crate with her nest and eggs left her in it for the next day when I opened the door she came out and went right back to original nest but I picked her up and carried her where I'd moved her nest to and thank goodness she settled right back down. I only had to take her back 2 times before she figured it out.

Thank you, sound advise! I will do that.
Keep us updated please.
smile.png

I candled all the eggs. 5 I suspect are ferilized, which after moving them and nest and her to theFlorida room she was sitting on them this morning. Cracked the thirteen and they all smelled fresh and were tasty. I wiped them off with a warm damp rag. One of those must have been fertilized. It had a little white umbilical cord attached to the yolk with a pale yellow sguiggle at the end. Today she laid 3 ..... Is that normal? Here's the pic of weird egg.

I candled all the eggs. 5 I suspect are ferilized, which after moving them and nest and her to theFlorida room she was sitting on them this morning. Cracked the thirteen and they all smelled fresh and were tasty. I wiped them off with a warm damp rag. One of those must have been fertilized. It had a little white umbilical cord attached to the yolk with a pale yellow sguiggle at the end. Today she laid 3 ..... Is that normal? Here's the pic of weird egg.
Never heard of a duck laying 3 eggs in one day. I seen where people have said their ducks have laid 2 but not 3, that maybe a world record. I'm so glad you were able to move her and she stayed. Now to hopefully she'll stop laying and get down to business of brooding. Keep us updated!
Where's the pic?

Last edited:
My phone is being difficult and won't upload the pic.. Will start a new post...maybe that will work. I read before I got them that I would be lucky to get two a day...so I was surprised. I found two in her nest this am, and one outside in the yard after I let her out

My phone is being difficult and won't upload the pic.. Will start a new post...maybe that will work. I read before I got them that I would be lucky to get two a day...so I was surprised. I found two in her nest this am, and one outside in the yard after I let her out
Well I have to say this is a first for me.

A first to hear 3 eggs? The third outside I know wasnt from before, last night I moved Bunny cages out of the new duck house(florida room) and left it hay and all and that's where I found the third one. My question: you said she needs to stop laying and start brooding. The temp outside is 90. When I take my (very accurate) thermometer in the duck house- it read 84.6. She's not laying on them at all during the day or I would have found the nest 17 eggs ago. I'm gardening/working in the back yard all day. do you think its a bad sign #1 she's still laying? and why? #2 after 2 hours forage time i put her back on her nest in the house but she wont sit

A first to hear 3 eggs? The third outside I know wasnt from before, last night I moved Bunny cages out of the new duck house(florida room) and left it hay and all and that's where I found the third one. My question: you said she needs to stop laying and start brooding. The temp outside is 90. When I take my (very accurate) thermometer in the duck house- it read 84.6. She's not laying on them at all during the day or I would have found the nest 17 eggs ago. I'm gardening/working in the back yard all day. do you think its a bad sign #1 she's still laying? and why? #2 after 2 hours forage time i put her back on her nest in the house but she wont sit
From all I have read Pekins aren't that great at brooding but that doesn't mean she won't at some point it's just they were developed as meat ducks so most of the broodiness has been bred out of them as with other domestic breeds. So she may or she may not . She won't stop laying till her cycle is finished, just like my Muscovy's they will lay a certain amount of eggs then stop and their bodies will have a short break, then they will resume laying again this goes on from early spring till sometime in Oct. Since I don't want any more ducklings this year I take their eggs daily and have made sure they have no hiding places, but most have learned that their houses are where to lay anyway. If she had 17 eggs and is still laying then I'd say she hasn't got her clutch where she wants it yet or she isn't going to brood. Very hard to say, you'll just have to wait it out. Hopefully you'll know soon and I'd say you will. Honestly I have not heard of a duck laying 3 eggs in 1 day, hopefully others will read this thread and weigh in and let us know their ducks have done this,. One thing I have learned since being on BYC is no one can make a duck brood either she will or she won't. You've done the right thing by moving her and giving her a safe place IF she wants too. So now it's a waiting game. I have the other problem trying to get ducks not to want to brood. I have 3 right now that won't take no for an answer even though they don't even have eggs under them. There have been quite a few come in here and said their Pekins are sitting on eggs and some have had hatches so don't give up hope.

Back
Top Bottom