Found injured hen!

It is hard to know what has happened to her. A predator could have injured her head, but it would be just a guess. With her eyes closed and swollen, I would flush them with saline, and twice daily apply either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin. Those can also be used on the head wounds, though I would use Neosporin on the skin and comb. Try to look to see if her eyes are intact. If you can lift her up, and see if she can put any weight on her legs or balance. Feed her several times a day using chicken layer feed mixed with water. You can also offer some dry crumbles as well. Scrambled egg is a good treat. If she cannot stand, then a chicken sling might be good to get her up and near food and water.
Thank you!

Update: she made it thru the night! Applied warm water and Neosporin as suggested. She took a few sips of Gatorade but not wanting to eat or drink right now 😟
Plan on giving her an epsom salt soak to maybe revive her. The dark blood crusting hasn’t loosened yet so I can’t evaluate her eye & wound situation…hoping the ointment will soak enough to clean injuries. There’s a fowl smell coming from one side if her face (which appears to be a piece of her comb detached and hanging on ) she doesn’t start eating or drinking soon we may have to take her to the rescue center as they may possibly give an IV?

They could give some IV fluids under her skin if the rescue center has a vet. If the part of the comb is just hanging, they may want to remove it, especially if that is the origin of the bad odor. Tube feeding could be done using a section of aquarium air tubing (Walmart or a pet shop) or oxygen tubing connected to a large 35 ml syringe. A baby goat feeding tube and syringe also works and is available through Amazon. KayTee baby bird feed is good to feed through a tube. Only liquids, raw egg and yogurt will go through the air or oxygen tubing. The goat tube will be good for thicker feedings.

Oh dear, poor girl! I have a chicken with only one eye, so she is partially blind. Otherwise, she functions fine. I don't know about hens surviving with blindness in both eyes, though.

They could give some IV fluids under her skin if the rescue center has a vet. If the part of the comb is just hanging, they may want to remove it, especially if that is the origin of the bad odor. Tube feeding could be done using a section of aquarium air tubing (Walmart or a pet shop) or oxygen tubing connected to a large 35 ml syringe. A baby goat feeding tube and syringe also works and is available through Amazon. KayTee baby bird feed is good to feed through a tube. Only liquids, raw egg and yogurt will go through the air or oxygen tubing. The goat tube will be good for thicker feedings.
Update: she made it thru the night! Applied warm water and Neosporin as suggested. She took a few sips of Gatorade but not wanting to eat or drink right now 😟
Plan on giving her an epsom salt soak to maybe revive her. The dark blood crusting hasn’t loosened yet so I can’t evaluate her eye & wound situation…hoping the ointment will soak enough to clean injuries. There’s a fowl smell coming from one side if her face (which appears to be a piece of her comb detached and hanging on ) she doesn’t start eating or drinking soon we may have to take her to the rescue center as they may possibly give an IV?
Will the rescue accept her? Unfortunately, several rescues will eithanize animals they are not licensed or equipped to handle. If this is a wildlife rescue, I'm not sure if she will be taken in. It's always best to call first and ask first :)

If you have SubQ fluids on hand (or are able to procure some) I can make a video and share how to give her the fluids yourself. Also, if you're not comfortable with tube feeding, you can make a thick paste with the kaytee baby bird food and an egg yolk and syringe it into her mouth. *Don't* place the syring towards the back of her throat as this could cause her to aspirate. Place 1-2cc at a time on her tongue and see if she'll swallow. Poor thing... she may have been attacked by a cat or some other small predator and escaped. If the wound on the side of her face is smelling, it's likely infected and needs to be cleaned asap. You can clean the wounds with diluted betadine (1:3)

Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom