Found injured hen!

SaltwaterChickInn

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
Help. My daughter found an injured hen at the park and we brought it home to try and save it. The hen appears to have both eyes missing with trauma to the head. We offered water by spoon in which she did drink a little. She remains in the nesting position as we haven’t seen her walk. We put her in a dog crate and keeping her comfortable. Is it possible for her to survive her injuries and live on as a blind chicken? Don’t know what else to do. Plan on bringing her to a rescue & wildlife center tomorrow. Please advise. Thank you!

Help. My daughter found an injured hen at the park and we brought it home to try and save it. The hen appears to have both eyes missing with trauma to the head. We offered water by spoon in which she did drink a little. She remains in the nesting position as we haven’t seen her walk. We put her in a dog crate and keeping her comfortable. Is it possible for her to survive her injuries and live on as a blind chicken? Don’t know what else to do. Plan on bringing her to a rescue & wildlife center tomorrow. Please advise. Thank you!
Please post some pictures. Hopefully the poor thing pulls through

Here’s a couple of pictures. It looks like some type of head injury with a wound. My husband thinks maybe a car hit her. I don’t understand what happened to her eyes. Poor thing. This is heartbreaking 😕
IMG_4303.jpeg
IMG_4304.jpeg

Thanks so much…I will try patting with warm washcloth and applying ointment. I hope she still has at least one eye if not both. Want to give her a fighting chance. Greatful for the suggestions. I didn’t know where to begin.

It is hard to know what has happened to her. A predator could have injured her head, but it would be just a guess. With her eyes closed and swollen, I would flush them with saline, and twice daily apply either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin. Those can also be used on the head wounds, though I would use Neosporin on the skin and comb. Try to look to see if her eyes are intact. If you can lift her up, and see if she can put any weight on her legs or balance. Feed her several times a day using chicken layer feed mixed with water. You can also offer some dry crumbles as well. Scrambled egg is a good treat. If she cannot stand, then a chicken sling might be good to get her up and near food and water.

Back
Top Bottom