Found injured hen in yard need advice

The same neighbors that were notified and did nothing?
Indeed. And they still have done nothing. These are the same neighbors who did nothing to treat the rooster that was attacked by the coyote and had its tail ripped off. And the same neighbors who appear to feed the flock nothing. The only indication that water is available is a worn out kiddie pool in the front yard that is filled with stagnant water, leaves, and filth & a small soup bowl on the porch swing. My patience is done with these folks. These folks live 5 houses away. So their flock is wandering a 1/2 ft radius. I'm thankful the people around that house are supportive of the chickens and haven't reported them. Where I live, that could go either way.

Indeed. And they still have done nothing. These are the same neighbors who did nothing to treat the rooster that was attacked by the coyote and had its tail ripped off. And the same neighbors who appear to feed the flock nothing. The only indication that water is available is a worn out kiddie pool in the front yard that is filled with stagnant water, leaves, and filth & a small soup bowl on the porch swing. My patience is done with these folks. These folks live 5 houses away. So their flock is wandering a 1/2 ft radius. I'm thankful the people around that house are supportive of the chickens and haven't reported them. Where I live, that could go either way.
I wonder what would happen if that flock noticed that there is not only food in your yard but also a place to sleep and be safe.

Evening update. The afternoon did not go well, and Dumplin passed away peacefully. My husband buried her under the trees in our backyard where she liked to play and look for snacks. We feel good knowing she was cared for and is peacefully at rest. I'm glad the neighbors didn't come for her last night. She was well cared for and loved until the very end. Several of the flock came around for a last round of snacks after she was buried. I am grateful to have found this board. You helped us through a tough 24 hours.
Ugh, this makes me sad. I'm so sorry. You did the best you could, and she finally got the love she needed in her final hours.

Your neighbors' chickens are probably straying so much because they have no food source or proper care at "home." If they are expected to drink from the putrid kiddy pool, that's appalling and sad. I feel so sorry for those chickens. Just because they might be raised as a food source, it does not mean that they don't deserve to be cared for well and treated with love and kindness. Some people just suck.

They seem kinda hardwired to go back there at night after their chick or treating all over the place. Now that I've been around them awhile (since we got home in early August), I have seen them repeat a handful of travel patterns. I don't know a lot about free range chickens, but these chickens seem to have an order to their travels.
Ugh, this makes me sad. I'm so sorry. You did the best you could, and she finally got the love she needed in her final hours.

Your neighbors' chickens are probably straying so much because they have no food source or proper care at "home." If they are expected to drink from the putrid kiddy pool, that's appalling and sad. I feel so sorry for those chickens. Just because they might be raised as a food source, it does not mean that they don't deserve to be cared for well and treated with love and kindness. Some people just suck.
100% agree. I'm appalled by the conditions and grateful that these folks aren't right next door to us. It helps me disconnect from thinking about the people a little and focus on doing what we can for the chick-or-treaters. They worth all the effort.

Their real chicken food arrived today, and they love it! The alpha rooster spotted the new food in the dishes first and proceeded to call the others over. I integrated into the oats and sunflower seeds and they gobbled it all up. Interestingly enough, to me at least, they did not continue to travel in their normal direction (toward the side yard away from our house -- they usually got that way to hunt for bugs and worms around the side of our house and around a little storage building .... then, they head down into the other neighbors' yard. Today, they haven't left. They went in the other direction and got under our trees in the back yard. The easter eggers are perched with one of the black chickens (an Austrlorp according to my new bird id app). The other hens have been rolling around in the dust bath spots next to our carport. The roosters have been crowing, supervising the back yard and pecking around. Every now and then, they all wander up to the front to eat their new food. We set out some fresh veggies for their afternoon treat and they enjoyed that too. Basically, every time I've looked out the windows, I've spotted them. They've wanted over to the next door neighbor's house (he gives them scraps and they like to spy into his windows too), but they have floated right back to the backyard. My favorite discovery --- looking out and watching my daughter with them. She had them jumping up to catch little pieces of food. After this week of sadness and stress, she needed that time with them. Yeah for real chicken food -- and for more contented chickadees!

Their real chicken food arrived today, and they love it! The alpha rooster spotted the new food in the dishes first and proceeded to call the others over. I integrated into the oats and sunflower seeds and they gobbled it all up. Interestingly enough, to me at least, they did not continue to travel in their normal direction (toward the side yard away from our house -- they usually got that way to hunt for bugs and worms around the side of our house and around a little storage building .... then, they head down into the other neighbors' yard. Today, they haven't left. They went in the other direction and got under our trees in the back yard. The easter eggers are perched with one of the black chickens (an Austrlorp according to my new bird id app). The other hens have been rolling around in the dust bath spots next to our carport. The roosters have been crowing, supervising the back yard and pecking around. Every now and then, they all wander up to the front to eat their new food. We set out some fresh veggies for their afternoon treat and they enjoyed that too. Basically, every time I've looked out the windows, I've spotted them. They've wanted over to the next door neighbor's house (he gives them scraps and they like to spy into his windows too), but they have floated right back to the backyard. My favorite discovery --- looking out and watching my daughter with them. She had them jumping up to catch little pieces of food. After this week of sadness and stress, she needed that time with them. Yeah for real chicken food -- and for more contented chickadees!
That's awesome. They've probably not wandered away like they usually do, because they've found a new, plentiful food source. Congratulations -- they might have just adopted you and your family! :lau :love :jumpy :celebrate

That's awesome. They've probably not wandered away like they usually do, because they've found a new, plentiful food source. Congratulations -- they might have just adopted you and your family! :lau :love :jumpy :celebrate
I feel like I'm overseeing a sanctuary zone. 🐥 All but one finally wandered. The one is extremely independent and it's not unusual for her to do her own thing at times. She's an Australorp I think. Very, very verbal. Someone deeper into the neighborhood (lots of rural land around here) is either hunting or target shooting, and she was not loving that. She was hunting near the back yard trees and dashing/yelling under them every time she heard a gunshot. My daughter and I ended up standing around in the back yard sipping coffee and she calmed down. I occurred to me that she probably thinks we are honorary roosters -- so we can add that to our resume. Thankfully, the shots have stopped for long enough for her to feel comfortable heading 'home.' It's about the time of day when we see them one last time at most. I suspect the rest of the flock was hiding out together somewhere else during those shots -- super loud. They make me jump a bit if I'm outside, and I've been around this area and hunting my whole life. I thought retirement from teaching middle/high school would be relaxing/boring --- this week has proven me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom