Found injured hen in yard need advice

Pics
They stop laying when they molt. If they feel safer in your yard, that's likely where they'll go to lay. Instinctively they know they need shelter and food for their chicks.

I'm sorry about Dumplin. It is easy to get attached quickly.

I have seen them repeat a handful of travel patterns. I don't know a lot about free range chickens, but these chickens seem to have an order to their travels.

Chickens are smart. They know where the good food is.

Basically, every time I've looked out the windows, I've spotted them. They've wanted over to the next door neighbor's house (he gives them scraps and they like to spy into his windows too), but they have floated right back to the backyard. My favorite discovery --- looking out and watching my daughter with them. She had them jumping up to catch little pieces of food.

I think you've been officially adopted. :)

I'm sorry about Dumplin. It is easy to get attached quickly.

Chickens are smart. They know where the good food is.

I think you've been officially adopted. :)
I think you summed things up well.

Added bonus. They also seem to know where the best hideout spaces are. I discovered the alpha rooster (Ricardo) and Dumplin's twin (Knuffle Bunny) hiding out together on the other side of our tractor/plow. Their 2 little heads popped up when I walked out into the carport this morning. They looked like they had been caught in the backseat of a Lincoln at a 1950s drive-in -- ruffled feathers and all lol. I am confident the rooster was nestled down with her. Is that a thing? He's never sitting or resting -- always standing attention and parading around. Even when the hens are rolling in a dust bath, he's standing over them.

I think you summed things up well.

Added bonus. They also seem to know where the best hideout spaces are. I discovered the alpha rooster (Ricardo) and Dumplin's twin (Knuffle Bunny) hiding out together on the other side of our tractor/plow. Their 2 little heads popped up when I walked out into the carport this morning. They looked like they had been caught in the backseat of a Lincoln at a 1950s drive-in -- ruffled feathers and all lol. I am confident the rooster was nestled down with her. Is that a thing? He's never sitting or resting -- always standing attention and parading around. Even when the hens are rolling in a dust bath, he's standing over them.
He was being a good boy just looking out for his lady. Yes! This is a thing all good roosters do. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom