Found injured hen in yard need advice

Pics

mumzee1432

Chirping
Dec 18, 2023
We discovered one of our neighbor's free-range chickens had been hit by a car. She was lying on her back, kicking her legs desperately, trying to get onto her feet. By the time we discovered her, she was absolutely exhausted. I eased her onto a towel, and we carried her to the owner's house. No one was home, so we took her home and made sure her bleeding was stopped, applied some Neosporin to abrasions, and held her while she slept. We eventually moved her to a dog kennel and helped her get comfortable. I was able to get her to drink a little electrolytes/water on her own, then by syringe. She is content and sleeping.

During the transition from being held in the towel to the kennel, she tried to stand up and fell over (wobbly). At one point, she stretched out both wings, so her wings were ok. I'm concerned she might have a hip or pelvis injury, but I'm not sure. She just looked off on the side where she was hit.

Meanwhile, my husband drove to the owner's house and told them about the hen and offered to let the hen stay in our kennel if they preferred (since we have her comfortable). The wife said her husband would come pick up the hen later. So far, they haven't come. (It's been 5 hours.) Having seen the coop conditions, this hen has a better recovery space in the kennel inside our house. She definitely would not survive on her on in her current condition. Their coop is not covered -- and is very small for 9 chickens (about 10 ft x 10 ft max).

We regularly feed, play with, and talk to these chickens. I do think she realizes she's being taken care of. She has been content letting us help her get comfortable and seems to be resting well. She's sleeping a lot now that we have her in kennel and nestled into a soft towel. Aside from keeping her safe, warm, and dry & comfortable -- and trying to get her to drink and then maybe eat tomorrow, is there anything else we can do? She's not our chicken but it feels wrong not to try to help her. It's very cold and windy here tonight and there's a coyote that attacked another chicken a couple of days ago in the area. Not sure how we have gotten so attached to these free-range chickens, but our whole neighborhood loves these sweet birds.

No, we don't have an avian vet close by but I may try to call on my own vet (we have a Persian cat). The irony is --- both the hen and our cat are sound asleep on their side in nearly the same position. I have never seen a chicken so relaxed. The hen re-situates slightly and occasionally stretches her feet and looks up at me then goes right back to sleep. Is it normal for an injured hen to sleep so much?

It's hard to understand people having animals but not staying on top of their care. My feelings are mixed -- I feel like the owners should step up but it's likely for the best that they didn't come to get her like they said. My teen daughter is crushed. This hen had just been on our porch eating oatmeal from her hand and playing. As much as anything, I appreciate having a place to vent safely while we hope for the best. So, thank you all for listening and giving any advice you have to offer.

I agree that you're doing the right thing, but be prepared to do the hard part if needed.
I am definitely not the person to do the hard part myself, but I won't have her suffering. Fortunately, my dad and my husband have been around chickens when they were young. I feel like I can lean on them if needed. It just feels wrong to have to make that kind of decision about someone else's animal.

I am definitely not the person to do the hard part myself, but I won't have her suffering. Fortunately, my dad and my husband have been around chickens when they were young. I feel like I can lean on them if needed. It just feels wrong to have to make that kind of decision about someone else's animal.
When they've been notified and don't come....not their chicken anymore

We discovered one of our neighbor's free-range chickens had been hit by a car. She was lying on her back, kicking her legs desperately, trying to get onto her feet. By the time we discovered her, she was absolutely exhausted. I eased her onto a towel, and we carried her to the owner's house. No one was home, so we took her home and made sure her bleeding was stopped, applied some Neosporin to abrasions, and held her while she slept. We eventually moved her to a dog kennel and helped her get comfortable. I was able to get her to drink a little electrolytes/water on her own, then by syringe. She is content and sleeping.

During the transition from being held in the towel to the kennel, she tried to stand up and fell over (wobbly). At one point, she stretched out both wings, so her wings were ok. I'm concerned she might have a hip or pelvis injury, but I'm not sure. She just looked off on the side where she was hit.

Meanwhile, my husband drove to the owner's house and told them about the hen and offered to let the hen stay in our kennel if they preferred (since we have her comfortable). The wife said her husband would come pick up the hen later. So far, they haven't come. (It's been 5 hours.) Having seen the coop conditions, this hen has a better recovery space in the kennel inside our house. She definitely would not survive on her on in her current condition. Their coop is not covered -- and is very small for 9 chickens (about 10 ft x 10 ft max).

We regularly feed, play with, and talk to these chickens. I do think she realizes she's being taken care of. She has been content letting us help her get comfortable and seems to be resting well. She's sleeping a lot now that we have her in kennel and nestled into a soft towel. Aside from keeping her safe, warm, and dry & comfortable -- and trying to get her to drink and then maybe eat tomorrow, is there anything else we can do? She's not our chicken but it feels wrong not to try to help her. It's very cold and windy here tonight and there's a coyote that attacked another chicken a couple of days ago in the area. Not sure how we have gotten so attached to these free-range chickens, but our whole neighborhood loves these sweet birds.

No, we don't have an avian vet close by but I may try to call on my own vet (we have a Persian cat). The irony is --- both the hen and our cat are sound asleep on their side in nearly the same position. I have never seen a chicken so relaxed. The hen re-situates slightly and occasionally stretches her feet and looks up at me then goes right back to sleep. Is it normal for an injured hen to sleep so much?

It's hard to understand people having animals but not staying on top of their care. My feelings are mixed -- I feel like the owners should step up but it's likely for the best that they didn't come to get her like they said. My teen daughter is crushed. This hen had just been on our porch eating oatmeal from her hand and playing. As much as anything, I appreciate having a place to vent safely while we hope for the best. So, thank you all for listening and giving any advice you have to offer.
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about the hen. Being hit by a car, she may have suffered internal injuries but it's hard to know.

Vet care is best, but often it's cost prohibitive and/or you may not have access to a vet that is familiar with poultry.

Being able to move and stretch her wings on her own is positive.
Falling over while standing could be of course serious injury, but can be shock as well.

Clean wounds with saline, Povidone Iodine, Chlorhexine, etc. and apply triple antibiotic to wounds to keep them moist.
When you have time, photos the wounds may be helpful if they are extensive.

Giving her electrolytes like you are doing is very good, work on getting her to take sips on her own if possible, by holding a cup to her beak, but if she's weak, then giving drops by syringe is good too.

When you are ready to feed her, scrambled or soft boiled egg would be good. You mention a Kitty, so she can have a small amount of canned cat food. Oatmeal will be o.k. for a short period of time, it's not a nutritionally dense of poultry feed - but the main objective is to supply her with food that you may have readily available. Other things that can be given is a small amount of canned fish like tuna, mackerel or sardines, soaked torn bread, a Tablespoon of plain yogurt mixed with other foods, etc.
When injured, sometimes they go off feed, so if she's willing to eat, let her, just not a whole chocolate cake or something like that:)

Chickens can heal from severe wounds and injuries, they are quite resilient, time is going to tell how this turns out.
I do hope she's able to recover, but prepare for the worst too.

Know this though - she's warm, she's being loved, she's going to have care from you and your family, it sounds like for now she is quite content and relaxing with the Kitty - so if her time does come, she's surrounded by Family.

Back
Top Bottom