Mar 29, 2021
Hi all, I have an older hen who was already an older Unknown age when I found her dumped by somebody and she's been with me for 3 years. Last night she ate like normal and had a big poo before bed but this morning she was lethargic and wouldn't come out of the coop. I managed to get her to drink water but she still had pellets in her crop from the night before. So inside she comes and i set up my temporary indoor chicken kennel. Her abdomen is quite swollen and she hasn't pooped all day. I gave her a warm bath with some Epsom salt and then gave her a crushed tums as well as syringed some water, and now she's in the kennel standing still staring at nothing. I feel a lump in her abdomen but it's not super close to the cloaca, but still somewhere in her oviduct i think. Her abdomen is otherwise squishy. I don't know if she has ascites or a bound egg, but if I cant get any egg to move then I've got a needle and syringe ready to see if I can help her to drain. How soon should I try draining her? I have vets in the area willing to help euthanize and supply meds/needles but not treat themselves. But it's Friday now and I'm afraid she won't make it till Monday if euthanizing truly is the best option. I don't want her to suffer mainly, is there anything else I can do?

Could she have pooped somewhere today and you did not see it? She could have ape it her and egg or lash material stuck. Calcium citrate with vitamin D3 is the best thing to give to help her pass it. Calcium 300-600 mg is good, so if you gave the Tums today, that should be good. Draining her for ascites won’t help her to lay an egg or to poop. I usually do not drain hens with ascites. The one I did drain a couple of times had labored breathing, and her belly was purple. It eased her breathing. Can you insert a clean or gloved finger up to 2 inches into her vent to feel for an egg or obstruction?

Could she have pooped somewhere today and you did not see it? She could have ape it her and egg or lash material stuck. Calcium citrate with vitamin D3 is the best thing to give to help her pass it. Calcium 300-600 mg is good, so if you gave the Tums today, that should be good. Draining her for ascites won’t help her to lay an egg or to poop. I usually do not drain hens with ascites. The one I did drain a couple of times had labored breathing, and her belly was purple. It eased her breathing. Can you insert a clean or gloved finger up to 2 inches into her vent to feel for an egg or obstruction?
I have her in her 2nd warm bath rn and it seems to relax her. It's definitely a stuck egg, as it's moved closer to her cloaca so I think theres some hope yet. Right before putting her in the wash tub I massaged her abdomen SUPER gently to locate egg and she projectile pooped some white with a long dark green poop, but mostly yellowish water. She seems to feel a lot better after that but still not great. I'm going in with Lube and a gloved finger as soon as she's out of bath. Now just hoping it isn't a lash egg. She's laid maybe 5 eggs over the last year and spring just kicked into gear so I think her body might be trying to lay again and just can't handle it

It is good that she has pooped in the water. Usually if they are egg bound, they cannot poop. You can accomplish the same thing a soak does by placing her on a warm towel in a warm humid place, such as a bathroom. Soaking her if she gets weak can push some chickens over the edge. Let us know if she passes an egg.

Last edited:
It is good that she has pooped in the water. Usually if they are egg bound, they cannot poop. You can accomplish the same thing a soak does by placing her on a warm towel in a warm humid place, such as a bathroom. Soaking her if she gets weak can push some chickens over the edge. Let us know if she passes an egg.
Okay thank you for letting me know. For now she's resting in the kennel again with a heating pad on low underneath. I'll lay off the soaking for tonight. I couldn't feel an egg as when I got my finger in I felt her squeeze tightly and shot another tiny amount of poop/fluid out. Afterwards I tried once more but she was squeezing very tightly and I didn't want to force it and cause damage to the area or swelling that would further prevent the passing of an egg. Should I try with my finger again tonight or try tomorrow morning? Thank you so much for responding to me

Egg hasn't passed but she's drinking on her own and able to pass a very worm/string like poop every 3 or so hours. Would getting her up and moving around a bit help or should I just let her rest? Thanks

So quick update, I put her in the yard yesterday to join her with her flockmate and she went immediately to the nest box to try to lay. She was unsuccessful but is still much more perky and able to pass bowels around the egg, which I can still feel in her abdomen and can see from a distance her tummy is quite swollen. She's walking around with her friend in the sun today so fingers crossed she lays soon

Update, she still has the egg (I can feel it so easy and her bum looks heavy) but she's doing completely fine now?? Full appetite and thirst, walking around scratching and pecking like normal.. so weird. Best case scenario she passes that egg with ease over the next week and lives to see at least another summer. I am planning on bringing her in to do another calcium dose, as that seemed to help tremendously despite them being on layer feed. I do feed them scrambled egg every 2 to 4 days, initially my idea being that would help vitamin d levels especially through the winter. Now I'm wondering if it was too much protien... for now will be cutting back on egg to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom