Found injured hen in yard need advice

You are amazing!
Are you able to provide fresh water for them too? Since they aren't getting these basics at their 'home'.
Chick-or-treatin 🤣 good one!
Yes. That was the first step we took back in August when we discovered the flock was practically living here. I put a dish of water out and all 11 (at the time) were tripping and climbing over each other to get to it. Currently, I keep fresh water under the trees in the backyard where they like to hang out, perch and hunt. I also keep water on the front porch where we have their food dishes. During the summer, I kept a dish near the corner of the house where they like to gather. I started dropping ice cubes in that dish and they loved that. I'm planning to get a heated dish soon for that corner -- it's closest to the electrical outlet. Until then, I've been changing out the frozen water in the morning and during the day as needed. They count on having water here. I've caught the roosters pecking on the front door if the water is frozen. :)

Put a few large plant pots or milk crates in a protected location, give them good bedding, and you may see eggs.
Before the molting started, 2-3 of the hens had started laying eggs in a nest they built in our side carport (that we rarely use/move the vehicles from). They had scratched around and rounded up all kinds of things for this nest -- starting by digging out a hole in the gravel. They found some cloth pieces left over from a tarp, a hand towel, and packed leaves all around. For 3 weeks or so, we had 2-3 eggs every day. The commotion around the mid-morning egg laying was even better than fresh eggs. I don't know if it's normal for the roosters to chime in on the egg laying song, but that's how these 2 roll.

The commotion around the mid-morning egg laying was even better than fresh eggs. I don't know if it's normal for the roosters to chime in on the egg laying song, but that's how these 2 roll.
My old rooster did. I thought there was something wrong with him the first few times. Then I figured out he made that noise when one of the girls was in the nesting box.

Since he always did it away from the coop, I figure he was drawing attention away from the nest.

My old rooster did. I thought there was something wrong with him the first few times. Then I figured out he made that noise when one of the girls was in the nesting box.

Since he always did it away from the coop, I figure he was drawing attention away from the nest.
That makes sense. I find it endlessly entertaining to watch them and try to figure out what they're thinking and doing. The more I watch, the more I realize they are way more complex that people give them credit.

That makes sense. I find it endlessly entertaining to watch them and try to figure out what they're thinking and doing. The more I watch, the more I realize they are way more complex that people give them credit.
This has been amazing to read about! It’s so wonderful that you take care of them and help them every way you can! It’s so sad when people don’t care about their animals. And yes I agree they are so smart!!!

Before the molting started, 2-3 of the hens had started laying eggs in a nest they built in our side carport (that we rarely use/move the vehicles from).
Now that they're getting decent food, their molting should go much faster and easier and you'll start getting eggs again. My guess is that those three were the only hens capable of laying under their living conditions.

That is logical and I would totally think you're right on track -- if anything was normal with these neighbors. I remember from the first (of 2) conversations I had with the woman that she claimed the chickens roosted in a tree with a fence around it. That was back in Aug/Sept maybe. She said that the hens were "now laying" and that she had found over 40 eggs around in the grass in her yard --- told me to feel free to keep any eggs I find. (As if I were going to take a couple of eggs to their house. I knew virtually nothing about chickens then (a tad more now) but even I thought 10 hens laying 40 eggs around in a yard like the Easter bunny was odd. I wondered what kind of nesting/boxes was available. Fast forward to when we carried Dumplin there after the injury. They didn't come to the door so we walked to the side of the house and could see the coop. The coop was truly pathetic -- but they do have mounted nesting boxes inside of it. The nesting boxes look much newer than the plywood boards. I think they added those after the hens started laying eggs. The boxes are small compared to what I've seen in most chicken owner's photos. Seems like there were 5-6 boxes. At one point they had 11 chickens (2 roosters and 9 hens) -- that had us wondering where the chickens sleep if they aren't in those boxes. The only covering is provided by the nesting boxes (mounted on the wall) and that's only about 12-15" deep from what I remember. The best shelter available there is for them to go up under the trailer home. It doesn't offer much protection from predators but it's more protective from the weather. It is pouring here today -- nonstop rain. The Alpha rooster showed up to chick-or-treat with 2 hens early. I'm guessing the others are hiding out under the trailer at 'home.'

Mulling it over, I think they built their own nest out of instinct and may have stopped laying once those nesting boxes were added to the 'coop.' The molting hit around the same time too. It's a constant puzzle my mind -- trying to figure things out.

Back
Top Bottom