Hen severely injured

Pics
Can I use soap and water? Do I mix water and povidone iodine. I wash the tumeric out right?
I had a chicken with a head wound and I just cleaned it with antiseptic spray and then put some neosporin on it. The only thing is I had to keep her away from other chicks. Poor thing it looks like her eyes are swollen shut from the injury: Is she able to move? Is she making any sounds?

It’s werid because she use to be queen. Unfortunately newer bigger hens beat her to it which dropped her order.
Sorry for your loss. You might want to get a home chicken emergency kit. Most things can be purchased at places like Tractor Supply. I had a hen that was Biden on her head and in her eye. I ended up giving injections of penicillin because of the puncture wounds not being just topical. I also have a chicken encyclopedia with many remedies and valuable information. She healed, was blind in one eye but lived to be 11 years old. Having raised chickens for many years now I have dealt with many different things. It is also not recommended to force feed or water on chickens as it can cause them to aspirate. Loss is difficult, we do the best we can.

Hello I have a severely injured hen. She is about 5 years old her head is extremely injured. She has a small hole in her back head her meat is showing behind her head. I’ve heard from someone that tumeric helps with wounds so my mother who can put tumeric in her head. Does anyone know how I can save her both her eyes are shut
I have had this happen twice to me and both times I have had them recover fully and still alive today (one is going to turn 8 this year!) First, clean get an antibiotic spray Vetericyn Plus Dog Wound Care Spray | Healing Aid and Skin Repair, Clean Wounds, Relieve Dog Skin Allergies, Safe for All Animals. 16 ounces https://a.co/d/479p97v
And clean her wound 1-2 a day. I was bandaging it for a while but it wouldn't stay on for long so I dropped that.
As soon as her eyes open, and if the others are leaving her be, it's safer to keep her with her flock during the day and leave the nursing and cleaning at night once she goes to bed. Someone told me that hens give up the fight if they feel like they aren't with their nest mates and I certainly found that to be true. The wound will look gnarly and at one point turn blackish for a while but keep it up! As long as she's still eating and drinking, she'll be alright. Mine still have a skin flap showing a little afterwards but like I said, have lived years after the incident! I hope this helps!

Hello I have a severely injured hen. She is about 5 years old her head is extremely injured. She has a small hole in her back head her meat is showing behind her head. I’ve heard from someone that tumeric helps with wounds so my mother who can put tumeric in her head. Does anyone know how I can save her both her eyes are shut
So sad. Did your rooster do this? I've seen mine grab the back of the hen's head to hold her down and mate. I stop him when I see this. You may need to separate her from the others until she heals. I would put Neosporin on it to fight infection.

I have had this happen twice to me and both times I have had them recover fully and still alive today (one is going to turn 8 this year!) First, clean get an antibiotic spray Vetericyn Plus Dog Wound Care Spray | Healing Aid and Skin Repair, Clean Wounds, Relieve Dog Skin Allergies, Safe for All Animals. 16 ounces https://a.co/d/479p97v
And clean her wound 1-2 a day. I was bandaging it for a while but it wouldn't stay on for long so I dropped that.
As soon as her eyes open, and if the others are leaving her be, it's safer to keep her with her flock during the day and leave the nursing and cleaning at night once she goes to bed. Someone told me that hens give up the fight if they feel like they aren't with their nest mates and I certainly found that to be true. The wound will look gnarly and at one point turn blackish for a while but keep it up! As long as she's still eating and drinking, she'll be alright. Mine still have a skin flap showing a little afterwards but like I said, have lived years after the incident! I hope this helps!
She sadly passed. But I will keep this mind if I ever need it hopefully not.

I hope by now that you have separated her from the rest of the flock, or she will not survive. My rooster’s days are numbered. He constantly jumps on the smallest hen, and he’s violent without romance.

I hope by now that you have separated her from the rest of the flock, or she will not survive. My rooster’s days are numbered. He constantly jumps on the smallest hen, and he’s violent without romance.
This thread is old. Unfortunately she ended up passing but thank you for trying me to help as well for giving me advice!

Back
Top Bottom