found interesting...laying out of the box, now laying in the box..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greytmommy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    I posted about how my banty cochin was laying in my hubs camping chair....asking for advice what to do. (my hens are free range). I got a lot of suggestions, and I went w/ setting up an outside nesting box close to my bushes where they like to hang out during the day.

about a week ago, one of my EE's started laying...and she was laying in the nesting box in the coop. Well.....my banty is now laying in the nesting box too!!! No more eggs in the chair...lol.
    (oh, and now another EE has started laying in the nesting boxes as well....the eggs are more olive compared to the other EE egg...so must be a different EE hen, right?)

ANYWAYS......is that normal?? for a hen to change where she is laying b/c of another laying hen??

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, I would say it is. My hens will find a new spot if their regular one is being used while they are ready to lay. Otherwise, they hang around their favorite spot and wait for it to be available! Sometimes it seems like they are telling the hen on the nest to hurry it up. lol

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Mine all lay in the same box and if the current occupant doesn't move in time, the next in line will just sit on top of her and lay anyway [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by