FOUND LICE AND MITES ON ROOSTER!! How to clean coup??

LindsayRae

Songster
8 Years
Jun 16, 2015
Southern Pines, NC
I found a few lice bugs on my rooster and from some internet reading he has mites. Apparently these feathers that I thought were spotted black are actually signs of mites.

Anyway. . .I am going to dust him and the four hens with Sevin powder, but I want to make sure the coop is good to go as well.

How should I clean the coop?? I have DE in there whenever I clean the thing, which is every week(Im talking hose down and scrub) clearly that didnt hold back any bugs! Would a good dusting be enough after I replaces bedding? I know you have to dust again after 10 days to kill eggs, so maybe replace bedding now, spray with Poultry Protector and ten days later do major scrub down????

Please let me know!

Thank you!

I would do the hose and scrub routine, then dust all surfaces liberally, then add bedding. Make sure it airs out though, the dust isn't good for their lungs. Repeat in 10 days to get (hopefully) all of them.
Just a tip for dusting birds, I used an old pantyhose filled with the Sevin dust. I let someone hold the bird, and just patted it all over their body, paying special attention to within their neck feathers, under their wings, and around their vents. Just be cautious around their eyes and beak.

I would do the hose and scrub routine, then dust all surfaces liberally, then add bedding. Make sure it airs out though, the dust isn't good for their lungs. Repeat in 10 days to get (hopefully) all of them.
Just a tip for dusting birds, I used an old pantyhose filled with the Sevin dust. I let someone hold the bird, and just patted it all over their body, paying special attention to within their neck feathers, under their wings, and around their vents. Just be cautious around their eyes and beak.
Thank you! I did exactly this, minus nylon(didnt have any) I had to just go out and get it done before dark. Whole thing is cleaned and dusted and so are chickens!! They really seemed to like getting dusted up. They never let me touch them and once I sprinkled some on their backs they relaxed and let me get every spot! So funny!

I hope they are all feelin good in the morning and bug free!!

Sounds good!
My battle with mites is kind of ongoing, the wild birds here must be spreading them over and over.
But it's okay, I've never had a severe infestation. They dust bathe regularly and that helps them a ton.

Back
Top Bottom