Found mold in straw! Question.

AzDuck

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Arizona
Hi BYC,

I went to spread new straw in my duck’s coop and run today and found a flake with mold on the inside of it. The rest of the flakes I spread looked just fine, but I got paranoid and cleaned out the entire coop and run for hours today. What I’m wondering is, can I use the rest of the bale if it looks okay? I’ve thrown away the bad piece and all the pieces surrounding it on either side. The rest seems nice and yellow and dry, but I’m not sure what others have done in this situation.
Thank you for the help.

Did it come from the straw as it was stored on your property or from the supplier?

It's not something you want, but I wouldn't be paranoid about it. Organic bedding plus water sometimes grows mold. I'd personally toss the affected stuff in the compost pile, address the source of the water, and move on. :)

Did it come from the straw as it was stored on your property or from the supplier?

It's not something you want, but I wouldn't be paranoid about it. Organic bedding plus water sometimes grows mold. I'd personally toss the affected stuff in the compost pile, address the source of the water, and move on. :)
It is a bale from our feed store, but it has been on our property a month or so. Not sure if it came like that, or somehow some water got onto it once it was in our barn. Do you think it’s safe to use the rest of the bale that doesn’t look affected?

It is a bale from our feed store, but it has been on our property a month or so. Not sure if it came like that, or somehow some water got onto it once it was in our barn. Do you think it’s safe to use the rest of the bale that doesn’t look affected?

I would give it a touch and smell test.

If it feels dry and doesn't smell musty or sour I'd use it.

That's not a perfect guarantee, but IMO, if you've got plenty of good ventilation and can't actually see or smell mold there probably isn't enough to worry about. Some people might be more cautious.

Personally, I'd throw out the visably moldy pieces then maybe another flake over and use the rest. I mean I usually use moldy hay to spread around our property if we have muddy spots outside. It'll just break down over time into the ground.

I would check all the other bales around where this one was.

Back
Top Bottom