found my cayuga duckling dead???

SINGLE MOM

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Rolla Mo
I came home tonight about 10:30 & 1 of my cayuga babies was dead. he was hatvched june 3. The other 3 seem to be fine but he ws next to the bowl dead. yes the bowl wasw dirty but what duck bowl isnt when you have been at work for the past 5 hours. Plenty of food & water & others are ok. any idea? I feel so bad & I really like those guys. we now only have 1 left & 2 rouens. Thank you

Thank you. These are our first ducks but the black has just got me & finding him tonight bothered me more than i thought it would. I just dont understand. they were all drinking fine when i left for work only 5 hours before.

So sorry for your loss. I know it's hard to lose a baby. Was the duckling wet? We lost one of our ducklings once when she got herself too wet and cold and couldn't get herself under the heat lamp to dry off. It was quite sad.
hugs.gif

He was between the bowl & the box side. he had some splashed water but not soaked & the light should have kept him there still. he was stiff whe i found him so it must have happened right after i left. I had just watered them. he was completely streached out. not even huddled up. I really like the little guy.

And he wasn't "stuck" between the bowl and box either? We also has a duck that got "stuck" and when she couldn't get out she basically was scared to death. Just another thought.

I kinda wondered if he got stuck but i really dont see how. everything happened so fast i may have gotten him wet taking him out.
i have them in a cardboar box in the livingroom with a heat lamp so i dont know the temp for sure. there are 3 others in the boxthe same age. as for feed i am using game bird starter. i will just watch the others close. i was hoping to put them outside soon but now i wrry about that. thanks everyone.

hugs.gif
I am sorry you lost the little one. As with chicks, sometimes they just do not make it. Ducks are more fragile than chicks are at a young age but hardy as all get out grown up. So, sadly sometimes it is literally just one of those things and you never know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom