Found my hen with a very swollen vent, with wings spread out and panting, advice needed on how to help her

bobathesexyclown

Hatching
Jul 1, 2023
So I work nights and work from home and did a routine check at 2 AM. Found my 5 year old speckled Sussex named Hoosier, with her wings spread out (she was perching though) and panting very heavily. Upon further observation her abdomen was VERY swollen. I didn’t find the answers I was looking for via Google so am looking for advice here. I live in the Pittsburgh suburbs and don’t know any avian vets, especially that are open on the weekends, and the only thing I could think of at this hour of night was to soak her in lukewarm water and keep her in a dog crate in the garage separated from the others. She seems very stressed out and in pain. Does anyone have advice because I feel like I’m at a loss

Also this is what her poop looked like after her “bath”

Attachments

• 394FCAC6-EE4F-4F18-BD0D-A21969D1294F.jpeg
    394FCAC6-EE4F-4F18-BD0D-A21969D1294F.jpeg
    847.9 KB · Views: 17
My initial thoughts are egg-laying issue or ascites (which is a symptom of an underlying condition). Does she usually lay?

The bath was a good idea. You can also give her human osteoarthritis tablets to help with any egg related problems.

When you say her abdomen is swollen, where abouts do you mean?

Keeping her calm and warm is a good plan for now.

I personally have found worms can have a huge impact on chicken reproductive and digestive systems as well. Do you worm your flock? Make sure you check her crop to see if it is full and emptying as it should.

Has she laid an egg recently? Wondering if possibly eggbound, in which case we need to get that egg out. Perhaps internally laying…trying to see if that pic is poo-like or more egg white-like…

If my hours of reading the experts’ responses to similar issues, your best bet is to give her calcium — helps with contractions. Most effective is 600mg calcium citrate with D3, but if all you have in the middle of night is a Tums (calcium carbonate), then give her that until you can get your hands on the other (hopefully once day shift starts — Calcium Citrate with D3 will be in the vitamin aisle of stores like CVS, Walmart, etc.) Give 1 tablet daily: pull down on her wattles, pop it into her beak and let her swallow.

And, if she’s not eggbound, then she just got some extra calcium, won’t hurt.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tips-giving-pills-to-chickens.1568469/

Last edited:
they all stopped laying this past month but they did that last summer too so I didn’t think anything of it. Her butt was really messy so I cleaned her up. Where could I get an osteoarthritis tablet and what would it be called? Also here’s a pic of her abdomen so you can see what I mean, it looks more swollen in person. But she’s in a dog crate in the garage now just chillin

Attachments

• 3C30E06C-09F9-4ECC-B3F1-A1FF878CA73C.jpeg
    3C30E06C-09F9-4ECC-B3F1-A1FF878CA73C.jpeg
    564.9 KB · Views: 13
And to be honest I haven’t wormed them, aside from giving them pumpkin seeds and diatomaceous earth despite having chickens for years. I know that sounds irresponsible but do you have any advice on how to? Sorry if that’s a stupid question.

You can get the calcium tablets from the chemist. I have one called “Ostelin” which contains calcium 800mg, vitamins D3100IU and K2. If any of my chickens have issues with their egg-laying I give them one of these a day until they get back to normal. People also use calcium antacids in a pinch.

Where abouts in the world are you? Different countries have different worming products.

Pumpkin seeds and diatomaceous earth may help as preventatives for worms but natural remedies are often not enough to combat worms unfortunately. Chickens in backyards are limited to a certain amount of space and most chicken worms have a direct life cycle so they reinfect the chicken through the chicken droppings.

Back
Top Bottom