Found Mystery Eggs!! Bizzare!

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
Wondering if anyone might know what layed these weird eggs. I think they are some kind of amphibian, frog or salamander.

They are about the size of a half carat diamond, oval shaped, but with a weird pointy almost tailish end. We found a bunch of them while overturning rocks looking for worms for our chickens (it was a race to grab them before our chooks gobbled them up!). They were in a moist area, but not in water. We have had them in a small bowl, on top of a wet paper towel, with plastic wrap all the way around it. (holes poked for air in plastic)

We have had them about a week, and today, we noticed little embryos in them!!! They are white so far (remember, the eggs themselves are crystal clear) and the emryos are moving! Barely the size of half a grain of white rice uncooked. We just have the bowl on the counter of our kitchen.

We have small tree frogs out here, and I dont know about salamanders or other critters. I dont think they are insect eggs, definatly not spider eggs, maybe jerusalem crickets? I have NO idea! Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, my camera is still busted, so I cant post a pic right now.

Thanks!!

probably lizard eggs

dunno what kind of lizards you've got in cali but skinks and anoles lay eggs kind of like that

Last edited:
Hmmm, I thought lizards layed eggs with a shell? These eggs are totally see-through and soft. Like a raindrop. I'll have to look up lizard eggs, we do have lots of lizzards around here.

Did you find them in or by a body of water. Or burried in the ground. They sound like eggs from some sort of amphibian, like a salamander most likely.

Quote:
AH HA!!! I think you may be right!! I forgot we find ALOT of humungous slugs around here, and near where we found the eggs! Oh my gosh, we're incubating PESTS!!

This is tooo funny!
lau.gif
lau.gif

We're still gonna let them develop, and see how far they make it. My son keeps begging to keep whatever hatches as his personal pets.... I might just let him!! hee hee!!
wink.png

Quote:
They were just kinda under a big rock in our planter. The dirt was moist, but no water was collected anywhere near them. They werent buried, or in water, just kinda all clumped together under the rock. I think they may be slug eggs (as boykin 2010 said), it seems the most plausible right now. Would still be very cool if they did turn out to be frogs or salamanders, but right now the embryos look like tadpoles, big eyes, bulbous head, fishy looking tail. I wonder what the incubation time is?

Quote:
AH HA!!! I think you may be right!! I forgot we find ALOT of humungous slugs around here, and near where we found the eggs! Oh my gosh, we're incubating PESTS!!

This is tooo funny!
lau.gif
lau.gif

We're still gonna let them develop, and see how far they make it. My son keeps begging to keep whatever hatches as his personal pets.... I might just let him!! hee hee!!
wink.png

If they are slugs then you are incubating chicken food, not pests.

Back
Top Bottom