Found nest - is it too late

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckcop, Jan 3, 2015.

1. duckcop

duckcop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    We went out of town for Christmas break and our duck sitter missed a egg laying spot for one of my Cayuga hens. I just got home to 14 eggs in a perfect nest with feathers and all... We usually collect eggs everyday to eat but I never take eggs if the hens get broody and that's what it looks like. I've only ever had Muscovy hens get broody, not a Cayuga. Need advice on what to do, take them away and if I do are the eggs ok to eat or do I need to candle them. Ugh. Help please

2. duckcop

duckcop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    I forgot to add that this hen has a pekin drake that never leaves her side (or back lol). While she's on the nest he is patiently waiting by her side

3. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Not sure weather wise if they would be ok to eat now, so if you think she's broody maybe just watch her to see if she is committed to it next few days now that you're home (if you're fine with more babies) and just leave them be? If she's not interested then just toss them IMO.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I do not think you should eat the eggs.

I would toss them if you do not want a hatch. If you do, then just leave her to it. It happens.

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yeah, it depends if you actually want ducklings, and if she's actually sitting on them. Sounds like she at least started to if she's "downed out" the nest with her feathers. Definitely don't think you should eat them since you're not sure how old they are or if they've been incubated at all. If you don't want ducklings right now, I would candle all the eggs to be sure there's nothing already developing in there. Then you can just toss the eggs. If you do want ducklings, just watch and see what she does with the nest. You could always pull them to an incubator if she doesn't end up sitting on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by