Found one chicken in coop by herself, should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M.sue, Jun 23, 2011.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I let my 11 wk. old chickens (11 gals & 1 Roo) out to free range this afternoon. They were out for about an hour and a half before my daughter pointed out to me that Izzy was missing. Izzy has always seemed to be sort of a loner. She seems to get along with the others, free ranges with them and everything but she seems do it from a distance at times. At first when we didn't see her I figured she was in the alfalfa patch they all were starting to discover for the first time. When she was no where in sight we checked to coop. There she was sitting on the highest roost all by herself. [​IMG] I don't know if she was in there the entire time or if she retreated to the coop when it started to rain. The others took cover under the coop till the 10 minute shower passed. I picked her up and placed her in the run with the door open and she joined the others on their scavenger hunt in the yard. Is this a sign of being ostracized? She doesn't seem or act sick. Replies would greatly be appreciated for I'm still green on a lot of this chicken stuff.

2. ericnash

ericnash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I had the same concern recently for one of my chicks. She was distant from the others, but I was told this is common. I have watched her the last few days and she seems to be a little better.

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    She may be lowest on pecking order, but not much you can do.. somebody's going to hold that position. As long as you don't see any damage or signs of illness, she's probably fine.[​IMG]

4. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm thinking she was in the coop because of the rain. As for pecking order she doesn't seem like she's on the low end but what do I know....I'm not a member! Anyway after she was back out in the yard with the rest she seemed fine running here and there. I'll just continue to monitor her activities. Thanks for the input you guys!![​IMG]

5. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I'd watch her closely for the comming WEEKS. Look for ruffled feathers, limps, sneezing, watery nose, comb color getting lighter or darker.... no, I'm not leading to one thing... these are all symptoms of thingS.

She very well could be just a loner. Better safe than sorry and watch her for awhile. I have flocks where eventually I move one where they want to go because just like every other type being... they don't always like who they are with. lol Sometimes they eventually get over it, like my sebright pullet... took three months before she would be part of the flock. I felt bad for her, but I knew she wasn't giving them a shot. Or like my Delaware hen who for years lived with the ducks (by her own choice) until I got a new duck, then she moved into the Barnevelder coop. Her choice. lol (nah, she isn't petted)

Anywho, my point is that each chicken has their own personality... but it could be a sign of something else too. Just watch and see. Don't panic, but don't write it off either. [​IMG]

6. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks, that's just what I planned on doing. Like I said, she's always been sort of a loner from time to time but accepted by the others. I was just shocked to find her in the coop. I will look for the specifics you mentioned!! Have great night!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by