Found one of my hens pecked to death

This is their coop the run is on the back side. It’s not quite finished yet but I let them in there everyday

Attachments

• 812D3DA9-D835-47A6-8399-E61A1E8B0350.jpeg
    812D3DA9-D835-47A6-8399-E61A1E8B0350.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 69FBB8CD-0069-4229-B7D8-A8467AA122D6.jpeg
    69FBB8CD-0069-4229-B7D8-A8467AA122D6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
It's possible they were stressed by the move. Going into a completely new environment, they'll have to establish pecking order all over again. Very stressful! Who knows what little thing set them off. If your victimized hen had any small injury showing red skin or blood, the others might have been attracted to that. If they perceive ANY weakness or illness in a member of the flock, it's not uncommon for that bird to be attacked and killed. They see that sickly or injured bird as a liability, and an attractant to predators.
It’s been over a month? You think I they still could be stressed ? I did notice some feathers missing from my youngest hen just below her head on her neck no blood though. I checked all the others. I also cleaned out the coop and replaced the bedding this evening as well.

Thank you for the pictures. I'm at a loss to explain the exact cause of the attack, so sorry - I hope it was a one-time event and whoever started the fracas doesn't do it again.

You could help by adding some obstructions inside the coop and run area - a turned over chair, a scrap of plywood standing on its side (add a brace?), pallets made into a lean-to, a doghouse, etc. This gives them more to play on, and breaks the line-of-sight if one needs to escape somewhere. It really does work.

They might also appreciate some "toys", like a chicken swing, head of cabbage hung from a rope, an old tire filled with dirt for a dust bath, a mirror, any shiny objects to reflect light placed out of reach. We give ours the scraps of an old bale of hay when available, and it entertains them for weeks.

Also, I don't think this had anything to do with the attack, but do you have roosts for the chickens in that coop? I can't see any. They'll be much happier roosting on bars if available. I use small tree trunks (@ 3" diameter) or 2x4's turned flat side up.

Thank you for the pictures. I'm at a loss to explain the exact cause of the attack, so sorry - I hope it was a one-time event and whoever started the fracas doesn't do it again.

You could help by adding some obstructions inside the coop and run area - a turned over chair, a scrap of plywood standing on its side (add a brace?), pallets made into a lean-to, a doghouse, etc. This gives them more to play on, and breaks the line-of-sight if one needs to escape somewhere. It really does work.

They might also appreciate some "toys", like a chicken swing, head of cabbage hung from a rope, an old tire filled with dirt for a dust bath, a mirror, any shiny objects to reflect light placed out of reach. We give ours the scraps of an old bale of hay when available, and it entertains them for weeks.

Also, I don't think this had anything to do with the attack, but do you have roosts for the chickens in that coop? I can't see any. They'll be much happier roosting on bars if available. I use small tree trunks (@ 3" diameter) or 2x4's turned flat side up.
Yeah I’m building a roost for them at the moment but I do have small pallets rested up against the side you can’t see in the pictures. I will definitely add some toys for them I didn’t really think of that. I haven’t had chickens since I was a kid so it’s like starting over. All advice is welcome! I just want my girls to be happy and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom