Found one poop with liquid blood...?!?

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
We were playing with the chicks today when I noticed that there was a huge streak of blood down the side of the screen in the wall of their brooder. At the bottom there was a perfectly formed normal poop with blood on it.

What could be wrong? I have no idea which chick did it. I spent about an hour examining and watching them (there are about 30 chicks in there) and none seem sick, there were no other signs of blood anywhere.

I don't know what to think.

In a previous flock last year my birds got cocci, but their poop looked like ground beef, not anything like this bloody poop I found today.

What should I do? I can go get some amprolium tomorrow morning to give just in case...but I don't want to medicate if it's not needed.

Just FYI, most of my chicks are 4-6 weeks old, and there are 4 one week old's mixed in. The brooder is pretty big, so there is a wide range of temps. It is on a concrete floor with pine shavings. They've been eating Dumor chick feed and some occasional handfuls of scratch or cracked corn tossed in. Most of them have never been outside, though two weeks ago one did escape and led us on a big chase.

I took pictures of the blood streak and the bloody poop, but I can't post them until tonight.

I was just looking at that page! lol

It does look a little like their cocci picture. *sigh* Though my chick's was more of a normal poop with red blood drizzled on top.

It's very helpful. When I first got chickens and someone directed me towards it, I would reference every poop.
lau.gif

I'm really worried that they might have cocci. But if it's that bloody I don't know why none act sickly and there are no other bloody poops. I guess I'll go get some Corid/amprolium tomorrow just in case. I hope Southern States has it in stock in the little bottles.

Firs I would isolate the chick (maybe pick one other to put in with it) and clean and sanatize the brooder just to make sure. but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom