Found out I CAN have a Roo!

Animalian

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Australia
I found a breeder in the next suburb to me, I was AMAZED because I thought we weren't allowed roo's in our shire. But he was 16 one was a GIANT and came up to my hip height and I'm not a short woman!

But yes, he enlightened me that we are actually allowed to have roos.... I always thought I had heard one across the street but figured they must be keeping it 'secretly'.

But there you go, when I finally get a broody hen, hatch chicks, and end up with roos I will be able to keep one if I like!
big_smile.png

What are the pro's and cons of a roo in a flock? Does breed affect the aggression? note that I only keep bantams.

Roosters in a flock are great. I love to watch everyone interact. My favorite is to watch my rooster feed the ladies. He will find some tidbit and make a special clucking noise the all the girls come running. Personally I like the sound of crowing. Someone on this forum once told me it means that all is right with the world...and it seems true to me.

My Silkie roo is super sweet. He seems to only crow in the morning, and it's not as loud as one would think
smile.png
I also have a cochin rooster, and he's HUGE, but a little skittish so far. Very sweet to the girls. Doesn't crow at all yet.

I've heard of people 'boxing" their roosters so they don't see light until later in the morning so their neighbours don't complain. Does this actually work?

I think I'd love to give a male chick I hatch a go though, I think my PR is broody at the moment and I just got a EE that was kept with a EE roo so I could put her eggs under the PR for some free bonus chicks
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well, I don't really care what my neighbours say.. One owns a daycare right beside me with screaming children, and the other is an old folks home... They stare.. @_@ No offense to old folks!
old.gif

That's when you bring them eggs
tongue.png
Anyway.. He doesn't crow until 7 am now. We'll see how long that lasts!

Congratulations! We have had two adult roos so far. One turned out to be not so good, but the other more than makes up for the nastiness of his predeccessor. He warns of danger, finds snacks for the girls, and keeps an eye out for them all the time. Even more than your hens its important to make sure you handle your roo. This may be where we went wrong with the 1st roo, but he was also mean to his girls too, not just us so maybe not. Because our 2nd roo was so skittish when we got him at 6 mos. I started by handling him in the evenings after he had headed back to the coop and was sleepy. Now he lets my 7 yo pick him up, pet him, etc. I think you will love not only your roo, but the ability to hatch your own too!!

I would recommend a silkie rooster. I have two and the one crows very quietly some mornings but very rarely and the other one does not crow at all. Plus they are very docile and very gentle with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom