Found Roundworm in faeces?

HoneyNutmeg

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Australia
My 1 year old chicken (free range). Honey has been sitting on the nest for over 4 days. Broody I suspect. But when I let her have a bit of time off from the nest, she pooped and her poo had worms in it (roundworms) about 3-4 of them. Her crest is quite pale and she seems to be eating and drinking fine when she's off the nest. Sure going to get dewormer is easy as 1, 2, 3. Uh no, I live in a small town and we have NO poultry places, I did read a thread on here about a natural dewormer using pumpkin seeds and buttermilk. What's annoying is, I can't go anywhere without my parents and I have no way of getting a dewormer! Plus the vets here are no help, they only treat dogs, cats, etc.
I'm in the worst possible position for a sick chicken, but I just want to know, can roundworms KILL?
Is there any other 'natural' dewormers around?
Honey means everything to me, and I'm scared to lose her
barnie.gif

Her bestie, Nutmeg has been acting fine, and has been alone free ranging.
We have guinea pigs, is the roundworm just infectious for poultry only or will it infect the guinea pigs? (Probably not the best question to be asking on a poultry forum.)
If this is in the wrong place on the forum, I apologise, I'm stressed out and unable to think.

Advice would be much appreciated, thank you :)

My 1 year old chicken (free range). Honey has been sitting on the nest for over 4 days. Broody I suspect. But when I let her have a bit of time off from the nest, she pooped and her poo had worms in it (roundworms) about 3-4 of them. Her crest is quite pale and she seems to be eating and drinking fine when she's off the nest. Sure going to get dewormer is easy as 1, 2, 3. Uh no, I live in a small town and we have NO poultry places, I did read a thread on here about a natural dewormer using pumpkin seeds and buttermilk. What's annoying is, I can't go anywhere without my parents and I have no way of getting a dewormer! Plus the vets here are no help, they only treat dogs, cats, etc. 
I'm in the worst possible position for a sick chicken, but I just want to know, can roundworms KILL? 
Is there any other 'natural' dewormers around?
Honey means everything to me, and I'm scared to lose her :barnie
Her bestie, Nutmeg has been acting fine, and has been alone free ranging.
We have guinea pigs, is the roundworm just infectious for poultry only or will it infect the guinea pigs? (Probably not the best question to be asking on a poultry forum.)
If this is in the wrong place on the forum, I apologise, I'm stressed out and unable to think.

Advice would be much appreciated, thank you :)

Do some research on roundworm via the internet and BYC. You WILL find the answers you seek.......

Thank you for such a quick reply, although I have searched the net and BYC, but I'll have another look,
Thank you again.

Search on BYC for Valbezan 1/2ml for standard birds given Orally. It is good for all worms.

Just noticed you are in Australia, it may not be available there.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your advice,
Mum went searching everywhere and happened to find a poultry wormer, "Aristopet worm-enda poultry wormer."
Hopefully this will work, finger crossed.
Plus, she seems better today after giving her some garlic and mint water.

Back
Top Bottom