Found the broody nest - what now?

Her age is not a concern; in fact she is probably stronger and abler to incubate for 21 days than would be an older hen. If she was Birthing 9 chicks, yes that would be a concern at her age, but she is not. I've had broodies ranging in age from 6 months to 8 years, and I worry much more about the health of the older broodies than I do the younger ones. As long as she has access to fresh, cool water and feed, she will be fine.

Do you have photos to post? I would love to see a picture of your petite little broody and her 9 adorable little eggs!

Her age is not a concern; in fact she is probably stronger and abler to incubate for 21 days than would be an older hen. If she was Birthing 9 chicks, yes that would be a concern at her age, but she is not. I've had broodies ranging in age from 6 months to 8 years, and I worry much more about the health of the older broodies than I do the younger ones. As long as she has access to fresh, cool water and feed, she will be fine.

Do you have photos to post? I would love to see a picture of your petite little broody and her 9 adorable little eggs!
Thank you! Sure :) I will take a pic of her tomorrow morning.

I really hope she stays for 21 days. I know she isn't a human... but even for a young pullet who just wants to get around, run and play, it's not a guarantee she stays sitting.... Maybe I should calm myself down by understanding that these are hormones that take control and make her sit till day 21, and it's not something she decides, right?

Thank you! Sure :) I will take a pic of her tomorrow morning.

I really hope she stays for 21 days. I know she isn't a human... but even for a young pullet who just wants to get around, run and play, it's not a guarantee she stays sitting.... Maybe I should calm myself down by understanding that these are hormones that take control and make her sit till day 21, and it's not something she decides, right?
Just let her do her thing and try not to disturb her on her nest. Take the pictures from afar so not to spook her off the nest. And another very important thing: Let her be when hatching date arrives, don't try to get a glimpse of her first chick etc. as this can disturb her very much. She will soon enough emerge with her chicks and present them.

Good luck!

That's what has always amazed me most about broodies, how they give up all the fun, normal activities that a hen enjoys to do almost nothing but sit pancaked on their eggs for 21 days. Then they continue to make sacrifices while they dote on and raise their chicks. Yes, currently her hormones are in control. Rarely, broody hormones do dissipate and a broody abandons a clutch, but it's rare and there's nothing one can do to prevent it, so try not to worry. 🙂
Take the pictures from afar so not to spook her off the nest.
Yes, definitely only photograph the eggs if/when she is off taking her daily broody break.

Back
Top Bottom