Found the broody nest - what now?

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Recently one of my pullets - a 5 months old serama, has gone broody but we didn't know where the nest is. Today I was home, so when she took her daily break - I followed her on her way back to the nest. I found a cute, small nest she made, with 9 TINY eggs!

Thats already about day 10 of incubation. I have candled a few eggs and saw veins.
The question is - what should be done now?? She is extremely young as mentioned above and its not healthy for her... We also can't be sure she will stay broody for another 11 days. On the other hand - the eggs are developing and I can't make her leave them by breaking her broodiness now.
Will she keep sitting till day 21?
What should I do now?
Thank you all!

Since they are already about half-way to their hatch date, I would allow her to continue to incubate them. The eggs may begin to hatch as early as day 19, but most should begin to hatch on day 20, with all completing hatching on day 21. Is her nest in a place that is safe from predators? If so I would let her be and trust the process. It sounds like she's got this!

If it took you a while to find the best then she might be in a safe location. I would just leave her alone and trust her instincts

Wild Red Junglefowl in the forest only have a clutch survival rate of 33%. I bet she'll do better than that

Keep in mind that she is at risk from predators being out of secure coop/run at night.
Also your other birds may be contributing to the eggs in her nest, which could result in a staggered hatch.

Thank you all :) Yes, she is definitely safe from any danger. I'm only concerned about her health since she is very young and should mature more. I also hope she keeps sitting till day 21 ......

Keep in mind that she is at risk from predators being out of secure coop/run at night.
Also your other birds may be contributing to the eggs in her nest, which could result in a staggered hatch.
Thanks. The other birds arent looking for adventures and stay next to the coop actually.. Anyway I marked the eggs to prevent it just in case. I hope she knows what she is doing at such a young age!

Provide plenty of feed and fresh water and a dry place for dustbathing. And don't worry about her age, bantam breeds mature much faster. Just trust her instincts.
As long as she gets off the nest to defecate, eat, drink and do a little wellness, all is well.

Back
Top Bottom