Broody hen in shared coop?

should we just start over?
I would not but you can candle the eggs in another 4 or 5 days to see if they are developing.

And should I fence her in so she stays only with the eggs I want her on?
We do this differently. Soe people cage the broody hens so they cannot leave the nest area and other hens cannot get to her nest. There are variations on this. Sp0me let their hens out at times but many have enough room for a nest, food, water, and a bit of space for them to poop. By instinct they should not poop in the nests but that may not translate to food or water.

I let my broody hens hatch with the flock. I leave them on the nest they went broody on, I do not try to move them. I mark the eggs so I know which ones are hers and start them all at the same time so they will hatch together. Once a day after the others have laid for the day I check and remove any that don't belong. As long as you do this every day they are still good to use.

Usually the hens go back to their nest. Occasionally I have one that does what yours did, goes to the wrong nest. I think what happens is that another hen was on her nest laying when she came back from eating and drinking so she went to the wrong nest. Usually my broody hens climb into the right nest even of another hen is on there but some are not that assertive. I put these wayward hens back on their correct nest and they generally hatch OK but it is certainly frustrating.

Each hen, broody or not, has it's own personality. As far as these actions go I can't tell the difference in a first time broody or one that has previously hatched and raised a brood.

Our current situation, for a visual. This is only until babies hatch(today yay!) And until babies are more steady on feet

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_132435507.jpg
    PXL_20240315_132435507.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom