Found the hidden nest-**PIC**

helloroe

Songster
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Cetral FL
So since the racoon attacks last month production droppped, or so I thought. The other day I found 11 eggs hidden in our wood pile. Then today I watched one of my hamburgs climb through a 3" x 4" hole under the ramp and disappear under the coop. So I had to tear the hardware cloth off around the bottom, lift the shed with the motorcycle jack to get her out. Well of course her hiding spot was on the back side. So we went to back which there is only 3' between the coop and workshop and I am not tiny so this was an adventure. I lifted and found a nest with 25 eggs! Production was not down I was not looking well enough. Free ranging chickens is like having an easter egg hunt every day!

36925_hidden_nest_001.jpg

Last edited:
Jackpot on eggs but now one mad momma running around. I closed it up tight under the coop so she has been circling it and scaring the other girls away from going in to lay. She is a broody girl wanting her nest. I cant catch her to put her in the contained pen area so she will continue running and squaking and the neighbors think I am killing them over here.

Wow, you have considerate birds.....mine free range but lay in various spots instead of a community clutch. About the time I figure out where these places are, they get together and decide it's time to move so I can hunt again!
he.gif
I do have a few that feel sorry for me and lay in the nest boxes though
celebrate.gif

All but this one come back to the nests and lay throughout the day. They lay from 6AM-5PM. I know the two nests I have found are hers because she is a small girl with tiny eggs where all my others lay different color and/or size. I kept them all locked til noon two days and they all seemed to learn from the early layers that hey eggs go in the pails, I need to come back here. It is sort of like they try to outdo eachother. I have 30 laying hens, 12 nests and they use 3 of them.

HAHA! My boyfriend and I discovered last week that our Buff Orpington had been laying her eggs on the side of the house under a blackberry bush. She only had a stockpile of about 5 eggs though - not as impressive as your nest!

Kat'sChicks :

Wow, you have considerate birds.....mine free range but lay in various spots instead of a community clutch. About the time I figure out where these places are, they get together and decide it's time to move so I can hunt again!
he.gif
I do have a few that feel sorry for me and lay in the nest boxes though
celebrate.gif

X2. *sigh*​

Back
Top Bottom