Foundation Advice

nychick83

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2017
Hi all - I am considering different coop foundations, any feedback on your experiences would be helpful. The coop footprint is 8'x8'. I do not want to pour a full concrete base. Here is what I am debating:

1 - Raised vs on the ground. Do you think it is better to raise the coop slightly off the ground or is it ok to have the floor framing on the ground (obviously I will level it off nicely and possibly even use some gravel)?

2 - I am leaning towards slightly raising the coop off the ground. If I do, the two methods I am in between right now are using cinder blocks that are half buried or simply making four legs out of railroad ties. I was thinking a total height of 4-8 inches off the ground.

Feedback on any of the above would be very helpful!

I have one coop with a full concrete floor and all the rest are elevated off the ground. Most are high enough that the chickens can go under them. That still gives them a place to dust bathe even in rainy or frozen weather.
In most cases, I've used deck blocks with 4X4 vertical timbers to make the coop floor any height I want. You can also use them with 2" lumber horizontally.
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Deck-block...concrete-masonry-Building-supplies/4294515407

I have my 8X16' coop setting on concrete blocks. It's on a slope, so it's up just over a foot on one side (In the avatar, that's the side facing you), and just about two foot up on the other. I just dug them in a bit, put gravel in the holes, and leveled everything. If you are going to raise it, get it up there. You want to have a clear view under the coop. And so you can get under there, if you have to. Put it too low, and the mice, and possibly rats, and really, who knows what else, will be very thankful for the covered, and hidden place to set up house for themselves.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am leaning towards raising it up with cement blocks. Understood that there should be a decent amount of room under - dont want critters making a home there.

If you are going to raise it, get it up there. You want to have a clear view under the coop. And so you can get under there, if you have to. Put it too low, and the mice, and possibly rats, and really, who knows what else, will be very thankful for the covered, and hidden place to set up house for themselves.
Exactly what I was going to say....
I made part of the main run fence just 4' under the edge of coop shed(which is 18-30" off the ground due to slope)so I wouldn't have to crawl too far(except to install said fence). Tho I have never really had to, used a rake to get an egg a couple times is all. Auxiliary run also goes under a lower portion of coop shed but only a couple feet due to lower access. Both areas provide the only shelter in runs from rain, deep shade, and great dust bathing almost year round.

That covers height. Stable foundation technique might depend on your local soil and maybe codes. My 16x16 shed is on poured concrete piers, I have no idea if they go below the frost line as building was here when I bought the place.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom