Foundation ?

chickensista

Songster
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
CT
Hi all,
I'm really excited - the town approved my coop! So I'm getting an 8x10 shed for the girls, but I have to put it up on something. Would cement blocks or treated 2x4's work better? Are there pros/cons to each?
Thank you for any input!
Terry

id put it up on cinder blocks.the vermitta arnt going to digg in because the shed has a wooden floor.

OK. blocks-2, wood-0.

To prevent the floor from sagging, I guess I'll need a fair number of blocks.

Wynedot55: Why do you prefer the blocks? I was thinking the blocks would keep the shed higher off the ground and not be so inviting to vermin that might live underneath it.

Thanks!
Terry

I don't have a full foundation just four corner blocks to keep it off the ground and level.

pic:

000_0043.jpg

What Corey did works great, however, for your size coop I would suggest adding two more blocks in the middle (one on each side) just for added stability.

There are two potential issues with what Corey did:

One is that rodents may think it's a great place to hide and live (underneath) so you will want to either raise it higher (so the chickens can get underneath and keep the mice away); keep it mowed completely clear all around and out a good eight to ten feet from the sides or; bury hardware cloth down in a 12 - 18" trench around the edges and staple it to the sides of the building.

And, two is that depending on where you live if your soils move at all your floor and/or walls could crack in the future from not having cement piers buried in the ground. That is a huge issue here in Colorado but in other areas of the country you never have to think about it. Just make sure you check if you have expansive soils where you live.

The very best floor, IMO, is a solid cement pad but that's more expensive than most of us can afford so we use a good, solid wood floor. I would also recommend covering the wood with lino to help make cleaning easier.

I'm so excited for you that you can have chickens! Hip, hip, horray!!
yippiechickie.gif

the wood will sink into the ground with time.an the blocks will hold the building up without sinking so much.as for the vermitts going under it.there isnt much of a way to keep them from going under it.

When you build your framework for your floor you could put it on 4x4 skids longways to stiffen it up and then put your blocks under the 4x4's .I have an 8'x8' coop and they work great.I even cut an angle on them so I can move the whole coop around with my tractor.Check out "my page"under portable coops and it's at the bottom of the page. The henhouse in the picture really should be higher than I had it when I took the picture.I think it was 1 block high with pieces of wood to level but I think 2 block high is better. good luck will

Back
Top Bottom